°37°

° ° ° ° °
AIDAN:
° ° ° ° °
I stood on the sofa beside Dr. Adaeze's and heaved a sigh, awaiting her questions.

She smiled at me and said. "Okay, let's begin. My name is Dr. Adaeze, I'm your therapist and I'm here to help you—" She paused and grabbed her book, flipping through pages until she stopped and read through words on a page.

She looked up at me and said, smiling, "and put your mental health first."

She groaned and threw the book off of her laps. "This introduction is so boring. Like, it's so cheesy."

I chuckled lightly at her act.

She rolled her eyes. "You know who I am, I know who you are." She paused.

"Or would you prefer a more formal introduction?" She asked me. I shook my head.

"So." She started, grinning at me and crossing her legs. "What do you like to do for fun?"

For a moment I didn't say anything. I just stared back at the lady who claimed to be my therapist.

Fun? In therapy?

"I love music." I said, calmly. "I love to listen to it and do anything related to it."

She nodded, urging me to go on.

"I'm not into afrobeat much, I prefer slow songs that make me feel melancholic because I listen to lyrics more than I do the beats." I told her, a small smile grazing my lips. "I have a guitar. Two actually. I play those songs with it when I don't want to use my phone."

"Oh, you play." She said eagerly. "What's it about slow songs that makes you love them so much."

I looked at her, my smile intact as I leaned back on the chair. I looked away and stared at nothing in particular.

"It talks." I said. "It speaks to me on a level I can't explain."

"It's my second language."

"Wow, I don't even listen to music that much and you're making me fall in love." She laughed, I did also.

"What's your favorite?" She asked.

I thought for a while, staring at the ceiling with an infamous blue color making it differ from the white ceilings I'm so use to seeing. It reminded me of blue skies, ice crystals and seas.

"I like to play Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton a lot."

"Why so?"

"Like I said." I told her. "It speaks to me."

She nodded. "In what way can you relate to it? Because I love to listen to umbrella and it makes me think of the love of friends and family."

I looked away from her. "The song obviously speaks about someone that passes away. That's who the artiste was referring to." I paused.

"I feel the need to be reminded of my mother and sister, they're gone now but I..." My voice broke and I fell silent, staring at the floor as I listened to my breathing.

Calm down, Aidan. It was just a question.

"Aww." Dr. Adaeze spoke. "You still love them."

I was inwardly grateful that I hadn't had the need to complete my statement.

"When did they pass away?"

I sighed. "Three years ago."

She shook her head. "Aidan, it's very unhealthy to keep playing a song that reminds you of people that's passed on. You'll be miserable."