Chapter 44: the Fairy Tail Wizards

Natsu: "Now listen up, cause I'm only going to say this once, so get that gunk outta your ears! Forget about me, and destroy this thing no matter what!!!"

Happy was holding a large stick.

Happy: "What about you Natsu?"

Natsu: "Just do it would ya?! If Magnolia were to get flattened because of me I wouldn't be able to live with myself!"

Alzack: "None of our attacks are working on this thing!"

Bisca: "What the heck are we gonna do?"

Levy: "At this rate it's gonna destroy the city!"

Lucy: "Please tell me you've got some sort of strategy in mind..."

Erza stared off at the Dragonoid, seemingly ignoring Lucy.

Inside the Guild Hall...

Makarov was sitting right across from Gray, who was sat down in a chair.

Makarov: "So? Care to explain yourself?"

Gray: "I was busy working a job when I started hearing those rumors about Daphne, about how she wanted to create an artificial dragon. So, I did some digging and..."

Makarov: "And that's when you had your secret meeting with that reckless fool?"

Gray: "The plan centered on capturing Natsu, and somehow using him to power this creature. I don't think she realized back then, but she told me that the only way to destroy it was for a DragonSlayer to take it down from the inside."

Makarov: "But this all could have been avoided if you hadn't handed Natsu over."

Gray: "You don't know the whole story Gramps."

Makarov: "Go on."

Gray: "I followed Natsu to the City without Sound, since I used to check up on him after he finished a job to make sure everything was fine. He made a promise with the cursed people in the city, but forgot about it because he's an idiot. Whenever someone mentions Igneel, he completely forgets about the task at hand."

Makarov: "So you're trying to tell him that while finding Igneel is important, his duties as a Guild Wizard should come first?"

Gray: "I never surpassed Ur, you know? I never got the chance to. Now Natsu, he can surpass anything with ease. Anything that came up he somehow overcame. One day, when he meets Igneel again, I'm sure that he is going to be able to defeat him as well! He always has that, he'll always be ready for that day. He needs to get stronger and stronger. HE'S THE ONLY PERSON I CAN PROVE MYSELF TO!"

He then stood up, fists clenched in anger before he calmed down again and continued.

Gray: "...but I messed up. I thought that he would be strong enough to beat this crazy chick and her fake dragon... Let me clean this up, please."