Extinct

(5 Months Later)

Let's talk about the Desulforudis audaxviator—the loneliest animal in the world by some accounts. Can we grasp to even relate to that feeling? The crippling emotion that we ourselves are alone in the world, that matter how much we achieve or create we will never make a mark on our insignificant Earth.

Wow, that got depressing quickly. I mention this simply for a project Y/n had been set, courtesy of his English teacher. He needed to write a report on a random animal/insect and the aforementioned organism was his prize.

Kamala: I got the Arctic Bear.

Miles: Isn't that just a polar bear?

Kamala: Who knows? I just know that I don't have to spend a summer writing about a Desulforudis audaxviator or however you pronounce it.

Y/n: Ha ha.

Y/n laughed sarcastically as he read over the description of his insect. It made no sense. Everyone else had such simple animals a tiger, Bear, Dog, and Cat. Meanwhile, he was stuck with an insect the size of a dust particle with the most obscure origins of all time. Y/n rubbed his temple in frustration which made Kate rub his back supportively.

Kate: Hey, you're awesome at this stuff. You'll knock it out of the park.

Morgan: Yeah, you've got the best brain here, I think you can handle one personal essay.

Yelena: What is going on here?

Yelena entered the living room with sweat beading down her forehead. From the looks of it, she had been training for a while. In tow was Natalia who looked equally as exhausted.

Miles: Just some school stuff.

Yelena: Good. School is good.

Natalia: Why do I not go to this "school"?

Yelena: I... don't know. Can she go to school?

Yelena turned to the others with a confused expression but they reassured her with a simple nod.

Yelena: Do you want to go to school?

Natalia softly nodded which made Yelena shrug.

Yelena: Okay. That's settled. Y/n will show her around tomorrow.

Y/n: We don't have school tomorrow.

Kate: What about those extra Science classes? That could be fun.

Y/n: Yeah, good idea.

Yelena went into the kitchen while Natalia jumped over the couch to sit next to Kate.

Natalia: What do we do at this school?

Morgan: We learn.

Natalia: Like how to neutralize a moving target under extreme weather conditions?

Everyone paused to let her sentence sit in the air for a second.

Kamala: No, just like... reading and stuff.

Natalia: I can read. Mostly in Russian but some in American.

Kate: You mean English?

Natalia: ...yes.

Y/n: Did you say yes because you didn't understand the difference?

Natalia: Yes. I mean no.

Y/n sighed as he leaned back on the couch.

Y/n: It's going to be a long day tomorrow