Chapter 34

The boy wonder followed (Y/n) out of the building quietly making sure no one followed them. (Y/n) went around the side of the building and sat down. Her soft (e/c) eyes stared off at the view in front of her.

The old run down and practically falling apart building was placed on the outskirts of the city along one of the older piers. (Y/n) had a perfect view of the waves crashing onto the shore as well as the seagulls flying around or eating crumbs off the pier. The best view to her was definitely the night sky. Something about staring up at the bright stars, the dark swirling clouds, and the possible sight of the moon seemed to comfort her. She wasn't able to see the stars as well from the bright city lights, but she didn't care too much.

White, lavender, and bright orange roses slowly bloomed all throughout her body. Unlike before where the roses were trapped, they had completely surfaced and laid delicately on top of her skin. Each rose seemed to emit their own light as the moon shined down on them. The familiar feeling of the night sky, but the knowledge of knowing it's never exactly the same left her eyes sparkling with wonder.

(Y/n) pulled her legs to her chest with a soft smile. Her arms laying over her knees as she leaned her head back against the hard brick wall of the building. A soft content sigh leaving her nose as a light breeze swept the salty ocean air around her.

"Hey." "AAHH!" (Y/n) yelled at the sudden voice making the roses vanish as thorns poked from her skin a few inches. Her previous calm state evaporating from her body while the culprit snickered at their happy little accident. (Y/n)'s eyes immediately met up at who scared her and she was surprised to see just who it was. The surprise from (Y/n)'s features was immediately replaced with a hard glare.

"What the hell man?! You know better than to sneak up on me!" (Y/n) yelled as her thorns went back into her body. An agitated vine popping out of her forehead as she glared up at the hero. Robin continued to snicker while holding his hands up in defense. "You're right, I didn't meant to scare you, honest." Robin said while (Y/n) rolled her eyes.

"Still...not cool, man." "May I?" Robin asked nodding down to the spot on the ground next to (Y/n). With a light nod of approval , Robin sat down next to her.

"How come you left Starfire with Jinx and Aqualad?" Robin asked his million dollar question. (Y/n) let out a sigh as she put her head back against the wall before turning to look at Robin.

"You saw that?" (Y/n) asked as bright pink petals appeared through her cheeks. Robin's eyes not leaving her as she plucked each of the petals from her skin. "Not that I don't trust Aqualad or your judgement, but why did you leave her with Jinx of all people?" Robin asked making (Y/n) raise a brow at him. "You realize you left her with Jinx too...right?"

Robin's cheeks flushed pink as he fully realized what he'd done. He made his move to go back inside when (Y/n) grabbed his wrist with a soft giggle. "Calm down, bird brain. Star is perfectly safe with her." Robin and (Y/n) stared at each other for a few seconds before she let go of his wrist. "Jinx just wants to make some more girl friends. I just jumped at the opportunity to help her out."

"But, you obviously didn't come all the way out here to pester me about my choice of friends." The plant being said while getting comfortable against the wall again. "You're not wrong." Robin said as he sat next to her once more. "Then enlighten me, wonder boy." (Y/n) said as she turned her head back towards the hero.

"What happened back there?" "Hm? What do you mean?" (Y/n) asked her eyes not leaving the night sky. "Well...the (Y/n) I know kicks butt and takes names all while giving snarky comebacks with an unmoving cocky smirk. I don't think I've ever seen you look that uncomfortable before." Robin said making bright pink flowers cover (Y/n)'s cheeks and parts of her limbs.

"Was it that obvious?" (Y/n) asked the hero only to receive a nod. A trail of guilt and embarrassment laced her tone as she continued.

"Aqualad is nice and all..." (Y/n) started to say while her non dominant hand started plucking the petals on her cheeks while her dominant plucked the ones that appeared on her body.

"But?" Robin asked as he dragged it out waiting for her response. "But we don't really click? Just like friend wise, I guess? This is mean, but he's sort of...bland." "You're right. That is mean." Robin said with a light laugh towards her making her roll her eyes.

"He's been hanging around here more frequently and it makes me want to be here less and less. He only really talks to me, so I've been trying to introduce him to other people that he might like. I've just been wanting him off my back a little bit." (Y/n) explained while plucking the remaining petals off of herself. Robin's eyes never left (Y/n) as he focused on her words and movements.

"Starfire seems to have a thing for him though! So I thought, 'hey! What could go wrong?!'" (Y/n) finished while letting the handfuls of petals fall to the ground in front of her.

A soft sigh left the super beings lips as she placed her arms over her knees once more. "Enough about me though. What's Dick Greyson himself doing on this side of town?" (Y/n) asked glancing at Robin wanting to get the attention off of herself.

"We finished up a mission early, and Starfire was talking about how much she missed you." Robin said with a light smile. The hero was about to continue when (Y/n) interrupted. "Star missed me?" (Y/n) asked and Robin nodded. The hero was able to catch a glimpse of light mint green petals starting to poke out of (Y/n)'s cheeks.

"The others miss you as well. But we came because Star missed you." There was an awkward pause between the teens as (Y/n) waited for Robin to continue. "Oh...I-I see." (Y/n) said as her gaze moved from the hero to the ground in front of her. She'd never admit it, but she was hit with a small wave of disappointment.

Robin raised a brow behind his sunglasses as he watched the hint of mint green lose all of its color as it dried out. The dead petals crinkling as (Y/n) brushed her hand against her cheek in an attempt to get rid of them. "I-I miss them too. You picked out a good group of people, Dick."

The night sea air was once again filled with just the sound of the waves crashing to the shore and the occasional seagull. (Y/n)'s eyes had moved to the distant waves that she could make out while Robin's eyes stayed on her.

The hero rubbed the back of his neck as he tried to figure out what he said that made her attitude change so drastically. In the time he'd been outside with her, he'd seen a few of the different sides of her personality. One in particular being rather rare for him. It was the calm and peaceful side that was staring at the stars with a soft smile. White, lavender, and orange roses appearing on her body unknowingly. She was entirely unbothered and seemingly happy in that state. Robin mainly noticed the soft smile, the sparkle in her eyes, and how she didn't pluck the petals from her skin. The next words that left the hero's mouth even surprised him.

"Do you maybe wanna...go somewhere?" Robin asked softly. His question immediately made (Y/n) look at him. "Like right now?" Robin gave her a soft nod accompanied by a kind smile. "Y-yeah...okay. Where do you want to go, wonder boy?" "I was thinking someplace with an even better view. Have any specific ones in mind?" Robin asked with a smile as he watched (Y/n) think for a few seconds. "Yeah, I might know of a place." (Y/n) said as she returned Robin's smile.

(Y/n) watched Robin stand up before he offered his hand to her. "Care to show me?" Something about Robin's words and posture would've made (Y/n)'s heart skip a beat if she had a heart. Instead, bright red rose petals peered through her cheeks. The girl placed her hand in Robin's and he pulled her up off the ground. Robin's hand felt warm in (Y/n)'s grasp. She'd held hands with other humans, but Robin's hands always felt warmer than everyone else's.

As the hero helped his old friend off the ground, his fingers were able to feel multiple soft petals that poked through the top of (Y/n)'s cold hand. He couldn't help but smile at the sight of the many untouched red petals appearing through her soft skin. A soft pink blush covering his cheeks as he took in the beauty before him.

"Ready?" (Y/n) asked only to receive a small nod. "Hold your breath." Robin quickly took a deep breathe as vines surrounded both the teens. The plants pulled them into the ground as they left without a trace.