Coraline AU『 Other side 』

ANGST??

Word count: 950 Coraline

- - - - -

Y/n moved into a quiet, nondescript house on the outskirts of town.

It was a bit rundown but you could make it work.

A few days after they arrived and where exploring the dusty attic of their new home, they stumbled upon a peculiar door that was bricked up.

"Shame, now I just have to use my imagination on what's behind it."

They frowned in dissatisfaction before going back downstairs.

In the kitchen they planned on making something nice to eat. Sadly the refrigerator wasn't looking so swell.

They ended up with a random mix of leftovers and it tasted the same as it looked, horrible.

"Sometimes I miss living with other people... who cook food for me."

Y/n talked to to empty house, themselves practically. They slumped down in their chair, bored out of their mind.

Living by yourself wasn't as fun as everyone said it was.

The next morning Y/n forced a more positive expression on their face as they tried to meet up with their new neighbors. It would be nice make some connections here.

Maybe on of them wanted to play scrabble with them.

But they got rejected hard.

Everyone here was stand-offish or rude. Everyone preferred to mind their own business and passive aggressively advices them to do the same.

Feeling more dejected than yesterday Y/n tossed around on their bed. Falling into a restless sleep dreaming to be surrounded by fun and happy neigbors.

And dreaming of mice?

Ew, time to call the exterminator.

The tiny vermin lead them back to the bricked up doorway but it wasn't bricked up anymore.

AMAZEBALLS.

And of course you went in to check if you wheren't hallucinating things.

Curiosity consumed them as they opened the door and peered into the darkness beyond.

To their surprise, they found themselves in a strange and twisted version of their own world. The colors were vivid, the sky perpetually overcast, and the neighbors they knew from their world were eerily different.

"Welcome home neighbor."

Button greeted Y/n, his appearance familiar to the version that already existed in the real world but his eyes... it contained buttons.

His smile was inviting and loving, he urged the visitors to sit down at his dinner table having already prepared a delicious meal.

"Hungry? Take anything you desire."

"I couldn't accept such a thing- Omg is that chocolate pudding?! I mean it would be rude if I refused your hospitality."

Hunger overwon the strangeness of the situation and like the gremlin they where Y/n started digging in the food. This was much better than what they ate at their place.

This was exactly what they had wished for and he knew.

He knew what they liked and disliked, their passions and interests. He knew they where lonely and seeking for companionship.

Buttons had lured many different people into his lair before, it had been a while since his latest victim so he was ecstatic. They wheren't the first and wouldn't be the last.

Y/n was a kind soul, even if they wheren't the brightest crayon in the box they had a certain aura he felt drawn too.

Perhaps he would make them more of a forever friend to him instead of just regular old routine.

"Aren't WE hApPyy!" Eddie (he's the Wybie in this au) voice called out but it sounded forced, like he was saying it against his will, getting played like a true puppet.

"Hehe... yeah..." Y/n smiled more strained than usual.

You where noticing things wheren't all what they seemed.

Their friends and neighbors in this parallel world seemed overly affectionate. They always greeted them with wide smiles, their eyes gleaming with an unsettling intensity.

There was a growing creeping sense of unease.

The other neighbors insisted that they stay with them, declaring that they belonged in their world. Offering toys, games, and endless fun, but something was amiss.

It felt artificial, fake. Just a fantasy created to manipulate a certain someone into staying here.

"Sooo I was thinking about going back to my house, you know on the other side."

"But you are on the the other side silly."

Button stopped painting for a moment, his smile slightly faltered as he heared Y/n mention going back to their house.

Hé wouldn't let them go so easily.

"I mean the other other side, my side."

"I don't see why that is needed, aren't you happy here, aren't we good enough for you?"

His voice was one of hurt, slighty exaggerated to play in on pity. He wanted them to to rethink their decision and feel bad for him.

They nervously twisted around on their chair.

"My plants are probably all dead by now and landlord might kick me out for not paying rent, I should really check up on that."

"I refuse. You'll be staying here together with me and your new friends and family."

He could sense their concern and frustration, which was amusing to him.

He returned his attention to the current painting of them, the only difference in his painting and the real deal where the buttons in their eyes.

A image of a prediction that would undeniably happen in the future.

Most of Buttons victims attempted escape once the horror sunk in, he was curious to know how Y/n would approach the situation.

They could try all they want but he would make sure to NEVER let them go.

But he liked a good chase, it was like a game to him. And lucky for him they liked games as well.

How fun~

- - - - -