Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Part 1 - Impatience (2)

...

Sis Lin kept driving us further and further away from the City when we seemed to have finally arrived somewhere.

Huh? What is a mansion so large doing in a desolate place like this? Is someone really so desperate to be alone that they would rather build their own 'Paradise' so far away from the populated areas?

Hmm... in my case, I would rather prefer to be around good people only, I guess. Being a Loner is just not a thing for me. I wouldn't want to do that in my lifetime at all... at least if I have a choice to make.

Sis Lin walked out of the car and motioned for me to follow her, after which she went to the huge front gate of the mention and spoke something into the intercom. As I came out of the car, I noticed a few oddities of the mention.

The place had been built very professionally and artistically with a lot of expenditure on the quality of design and the materials, but there were signs of neglecting maintenance around most of the outer area. Even some dirt looked to have settled on the marble statues as if nobody had cleaned them for a long time.

When I finally circled around to stand next to Sis Lin, she saw me looking over the place and began to explain to me about it,

"Little Carene, this place used to belong to my second Uncle. He was a really impulsive kind of person. He would often make high-stakes decisions on a whim any day. One day, he decided to build a Mansion here when he had lost to a bunch of scammers. The total amount of money that he had lost didn't even amount to point one percent of the amount that he had spent to build this Mansion."

"He only spent four months here before abandoning it to go back to some other city. This place had remained like an abandoned Mansion for a very long time, until one day, when he felt very moved by some Inspirational speech and remembered about this Mansion."

"Wanting to do something good for society at that time, he donated the Mansion to the Government, only for the purpose of housing the orphaned young babies. They stay here until the age of five before most of them get adopted. The oldest child here last time was only a three-year-old girl."

"Since the government is responsible for the management, a lot of supervision-related matters get pushed under the rug, as you can tell from the Mansion's current condition. Don't worry though, the facilities inside and the personnel responsible for this place are all up to the required standards. That's its only saving grace, I guess."

"Since this is the outer wall area of the Mansion, it has little practical reason to be attended to by the cleaners hired by the Government."

"I like to help out whenever I am around, usually by buying stuff like these for the newborn children. It often takes between a few weeks to a month for the supply to arrive for newborn babies at sudden rush times, since the government also has to do a good job to manage this place while continuing to fund other Orphanages around the state as well."

"Since I would like to be able to make a difference, I try by donating these items for every such emergency case use for such cases. That is why I decided to bring them here today. The manager here is a very nice lady. She and mother used to be acquaintances back when I wasn't even born yet."

By the time Sis Lin ended her explanation, the front gate opened up and a frail-looking old lady walk towards us and tightly hugged Sis Lin.

I... kind of wished that I was the one hugging Sis Lin though...

After nodding at me once in acknowledgment, the two women began to chat regarding all sorts of affairs related to the place, while at the same time, the old woman kept touring Sis Lin around the facility.