Chapter 72 - Covert Tactics

...

<POV: Carene>

Oh well, the problem's solved already. Time to get Nihara treated and...

BAM!

With the last of the goons thrashed onto nowhere street, Celesta huffed loudly as she breathed in and out heavily. Of course, her bountiful chest rose and fell along with that too...

Darn. Don't look at her that way, Carene. Just friends... we are... no, we were just friends. I really can't say anything else about it.

At long last, Celesta began to walk towards us, as Nihara kept trembling behind my back.

I guess I have to face the heat already. Time to face the music...

"Y-Yo! Celesta. I worried you for nothing, right? T-These guys were troubling poor Nihara here, since a long time ago."

Celesta didn't reply back, as she kept walking towards us silently. Her eyes had already been hidden by her bangs, so I wasn't able to tell how she was feeling at the moment.

"Here! I have some evidence of their deeds in their confession. It should be useful to apprehend them later on too."

"And..."

Before I could speak any further, Celesta had already reached my side... as she hugged me tightly!

"You are not hurt, right? Carene?"

Celesta... she is, worried about me?

So, she isn't angry at me anymore?

"M-Me? Hurt? No, of course not! They are the ones hurt. You came before they could do anything..."

Celesta heaved a sigh of relief, as she spoke slowly,

"I see... I'm glad, then. Don't get entangled in such dangerous affairs from now on. Promise me."

What? How could I agree to that?! I'm a free bird, you know? There is no way of restricting me anytime soon.

"That... what if my friends are in trouble though? And if any of... our family members..."

I tried to convince Celesta with sound logic, but she didn't relent in any way at all.

"Just call me then. I will take care of them. Promise me. Never again."

"A-Alright then. As you wish..."

In the end... I had to agree.

What? I couldn't possibly argue with her when she had been mad at me for a whole day!

"Good."

Celesta separated away from me, as her soft tone and eyes from earlier changed back almost immediately as she scanned the surroundings.

Most of the onlookers had run away already, so the three of us were the only ones left standing amidst the pile of bodies.

Celesta then turned to look at Nihara as she looked over her body and spoke,

"The wounds are all serious. I will arrange an ambulance to send you to the Hospital. Don't worry about the expenses. These guys will cover it."

Her tone while talking about the guys was absolutely cruel, without any pity or other emotions.

Thankfully, Celesta doesn't appear mad at me anymore. Although I can avoid the topic and let it slide, my conscience won't let me get away.

"Hey, Celesta? Sorry about yesterday. I was really busy with something else. I didn't mean to anger you or to lie to you. Sorry."