One

A rural town buried within the countryside, surrounded by farmland and trees.

Deep within England, your home country, it is a very peaceful area with not many people. However, it's rather popular with a lot of tourists coming here and there.

Therefore, in the small coffee shop I work at as a summer job, it's never uncommon to see faces that I don't recognise. Many people come and go, with locals being regulars and tourists coming in for a quick coffee and never to be seen again, which is alright as I never tend to get attached to any of our customers.

However, I do occasionally make friends with the regulars, just to be kind in general. Yes. it is a part of my job, but why not be genuine with customers?

And so, here I stand now.

With a black shirt and jeans on, paired with a navy blue apron wrapped around my body reaching my knees and a matching visor, paired with a (h/c) high ponytail, two strands coming down to emphasise my face and my (e/c) eyes more. My lips are coated with a shiny, subtle lipgloss and my eyelashes are lightly brushed with mascara. Overall, I look natural with subtle eyebags from the early mornings of work.

The overall mood of the cafe is relatively calm, with muffles of quiet conversation, the sound of keys tapping away at computers and the stirs of spoons in mugs as people enjoy the warm embrace of a nice cup of coffee. 

The smells of the various drinks relaxes me, it feels nostalgic to know that I was once ordering myself hot chocolates here in the winter. Now, I'm working here to get a bit of money and experience.

The day slowly passes by with familiar faces coming through the door followed by a few newcomers ordering a quick takeaway drink to continue their tour around the town. It's the summer holidays right now, and the sun is shining with not a single cloud in the sky.

It's the perfect day to head down to the river to swim or sunbathe or visit some of the fields within the perimeter. You can go swimming in the local pool or have a barbeque in your garden.

 However, I'm stuck within the coffee shop, wishing I chose leggings or even shorts instead of the jeans.

I rest my head on my palm, leaning my elbow against the counter and looking around at the few people within the store enjoying coffee and getting work done. The sun rays spotlight various seats and people through the large windows at the front, coating the small space with the heat and comfort of the sun.

I look at the various posters on the brick and wooden walls, the panels of artwork surrounding the space. The carpet and the colour of the paint on the wooden door frame. I scan my eyes at the people, some solo and some in pairs, sitting on wooden chairs and soft, low sofas, relaxing and letting the day roll on by.

I watch the people outside walking past, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear, wondering how they are spending their day instead of standing around in a quiet coffee shop. As much as I loved this job, it got very boring sometimes. Especially when there was no constant flow of customers.

I yawn, covering my mouth with my hand, having a small, silver ring on my index finger and a silver bracelet dangling on my wrist, complimenting my white nails. I lean on the counter and stay in the same position, scanning my whereabouts.

My (s/c) skin glistens in the sun as I look over to my co-worker on shift right now, and my best friend, Riley. They're cleaning the machine after making a cup of coffee for someone a good five minutes ago. I watch what they do, seeing them spray disinfectant and scrubbing the nossels and drains with a wet cloth.

My attention gets sparked at the sound of the bell at the door, however it was just someone leaving. And now, it was only around four people in the cozy cafe. I sigh to myself and think about anything else I could be doing.

Shopping, doing my nails, curling my hair, playing games, working on summer projects for school. Anything.

Another ding echoes off of the walls as someone - or something - walks in, blocking most of the light from the doorway. I squint and try to deceive what is in front of me.