Two

The person - or wall - that I come to face with begins to walk towards me, his large boots sending echoes across the walls as they bang across the wooden floors. His height towering over mine, he approaches me. I look up at him with a slight fear deep within, but on the exterior, I smile politely and fix my posture, standing more upright and holding my hands infront of me.

"Hello there, sir. The menu's above me, let me know when you're ready to order." I say to him with a smile and a soft tone in my voice.

The man had a black balaclava which had a skull on which covered everything but his eyes, having black paint around them. However, his blonde eyelashes stood out as well as his brown eyes looking down at me right now. He wore something similar to relaxed army wear, having a uniform on without any heavy gear on. It seemed he was in the army, from his muscular tall frame and choice of clothing, so that's what I went with.

I studied him, trying to figure out what was so different apart from the towering height of at least six foot.

After a while, he finally speaks.

"Tea, one sugar."

His voice is laced with a thick British accent, sounding like he was relatively north of England whilst my town is in the south.

"Alright, £1.90 please." I reply, still smiling at him. He finally looks down at me from looking at the menu and our eyes meet. His expression is untold, as his mask covers everything on his face, but after what seemed like forever he went for his wallet and tapped his card on our card machine, paying for his tea. I look down at the register and confirm his payment, looking back up at him to see him still looking down at me.

I quickly stop our eye contact, turning to Riley who is already on getting the tea done. I nod at them and grin.

"To take away or to drink in?" I ask the man, still looking down at me. His eyes run over me like he's studying me. "And is there a name I can take for your tea, sir?"

"Take away, Ghost." he replies coldly and emotionless. My smile drops a bit and my brows furrow at his level of enthusiasm weighing mine down by a tonne. I just nod and check to see if Riley heard him.

'Ghost', I think, what a strange thing to call yourself. Especially with a size that almost bangs his head on the ceiling, how could he call himself 'Ghost'?

I lean against the counter and ponder, staring into space as I do. The sound of Riley's voice concluding that the tea is ready wakes me up to find the mysterious 'Ghost' person still lurking over me. I jump slightly.

"You could stand and wait for your tea, sir. Did I not tell you?" I stammer out, still a bit freaked out by him watching me for however long it took to make the tea and for me to fall into a daydream.

I walk over to his tea and he follows suit on the other side of the counter with me handing it over to him. His name, or nickname, is written on the side of the cup with it being labelled as 'Tea' and an additional sugar added.

I offer the cup to him and extend my hands, smiling to which he takes the tea and nods at me in appreciation and walks out. The other few guests hear his strong boots and look up at the masked man as he leaves, the bell ringing once more.

I return to how I were before he came in, leaning over the counter and falling into a daydream. However, this one was about 'Ghost'.

Who is he? Why is he masked? Is he in the military? I sit and ponder on who he is until the end of my shift, which came rather fast with it only being ten or so minutes.

As I take off my apron and visor, hanging them up and grabbing my tote bag of essentials, I walk out the back door and begin the short walk home to my apartment.