Six

The rest of the day went as uniform, seeing familiar faces and new ones come and go. As I get to the process of closing once more, a memory recalls. My new neighbour has moved in and was there.

A smile crept on my face as I quickly cleaned everything and hung my apron and visor up, grabbing my tote and flipping the sign, walking out. I walked with pace this time, the motivation fuelled on planning to meet the mystery person who lives opposite me.

I got home within five minutes, half the time it usually takes. I practically jogged home.

I quickly unlocked the lobby door and ran upstairs to hear the sound of shoes again opposite. I think, do I knock now? Or do I wait until I've baked?

I conclude to think that baking first would be better, and so I went into my apartment and got ready to bake.

Not taking off my uniform, I got a recipe book out and ingredients to make a fluffy loaf of chocolate chip banana bread, my favourite and signature piece.

As I combind the ingredients, forming the bread and putting it into the oven, the smell of the goodness covered my whole apartment, seeping out from the crack of my door and filling the lobby. 

It finally finished after a long wait and I took it out, blowing on it and cutting it into slices, filling a small plastic container with about three of them.

I walk out of my door and swallow any nervousness I have before knocking on my neighbour's door.

Three quiet knocks, along with a "Hello? Is anyone in?" managed to grab someone's attention as I heard shoes walk over.

They open the door and I am met with a torso, suddenly looking up to see Ghost.

The worst bit? He's shirtless with a towel hung low on his waist, seemed I disturbed him when he was showering. For some reason, the balaclava is still on but soaking wet, dripping water down his body as I stare.

My eyebrows raise in shock to see the mysterious man also be the mystery neighbour. My jaw slightly drops as I stammer for my words again.

"Oh! Hello there, never knew you were my neighbour. I mean- it isn't a bad thing, of course!" I manage to struggle out, my cheeks flaring in embarrassment as he just looked down at me. I look down before looking back up, almost swearing I saw an eyebrow raise. I clear my throat.

"Okay, sorry. I just wanted to welcome you to the complex with these and to hope we can get along." I mutter quietly, still pink in the cheeks, offering the plastic container of the banana bread slices. He grabs it with one hand, almost covering the whole thing, and nodded at me.

"Thanks." he replied, I step back and get a door shut in my face.

I furrow my eyebrows and look at the shut door, of confusion and frustration. The way he's so blunt annoys me slightly, but I just breathe and walk back in, still taking in that he's my neighbour.

I take off my uniform and get into a simple oversized shirt and shorts, grabbing a slice of the banana bread and eating it, grabbing a book and reading on the sofa.

I read for a while, my fingers flicking between the pages until hearing a subtle knock on my door. I peek my head up and arise from the sofa, putting my book face down and walking over, opening my door to find the container placed at my doorstep, the opposing door being closed.

I stare at the container a second before picking it up and realising there is a note inside, opening it and leaning on my doorframe.

'Thanks, I'll repay you. -Ghost'

It was written on a torn bit of lined paper, in rather scruffy handwriting. I looked back up at the door and down at the note before slipping back inside and putting the note on my kitchen counter not thinking much of it.