Thirty Five

My eyes are sealed shut, not wanting to ever open them. My body feels limp and I feel tired. It's dark outside as I can't feel any sun beams on my skin. I feel safe right now and I don't even know why. However, I suddenly realise why I feel that way when I slowly open my eyes and see two big hands clasped together around my waist, interlocking fingers as if to form some form of seatbelt around me. I'm laying on my back but sitting upright against Ghost, against the wall we were crying at hours before.

I nuzzle my head into the back of his chest and sigh, full of satisfaction. Nothing could stop this moment, it felt like bliss. I felt complete when I was with Ghost. He always made sure I was safe and happy, even when he was upset himself. I could feel his breath still staggering and shifts within his posture as he slept up against the wall, me laying on him.

I rubbed his hands with my fingers and traced lines across his arms and hands, running my fingertips across the veins and tattoos that I could see. The scars and imperfections that made him perfect I drew hearts over them carefully. His satisfactory murmurs made me knew that he liked it and I could feel a sense of comfort radiating off of him onto me. I just knew then and there that he felt safe with me, and that I felt safe with him.

I didn't want to be anywhere else at that moment.

Many buzzes came from his phone - probably from Lola trying her alternative accounts to message him - but we both ignored them, until a phone call. Then another, then one more. He grumbled as he gripped me tight as he stood up, helping me stand up. I lent against the wall as he walked halfway across the room, to the sofa where he threw his phone earlier. I never remembered him doing such but it might've been when I fell asleep.

"Hm?... hello?" he asks, then silence. His face darkens in frustration and he sits down on the sofa, him holding a finger up to me who tried to walk over.

A sigh leaves him. "Alright, sargeant." he muttered, looking away from me down at the ground. He rested his arm on his leg and listened before repeating "Yes, sargeant. I'll see you."

I stand still in the spot where I got told to stop at - a couple steps from the wall - as he walks over and looks down at me.

"I've been called back to base for tomorrow night." he blankly says, his voice cold.

Not with sadness, not with anger, just plain cold. It sent shivers down my spine as my eyebrows turned upward and my lip pouted slightly.

"What? What do you mean, you're going?" I timidly ask for confirmation, hoping it was all some joke and that he didn't have to leave. Not yet.

He looks down and shakes his head.

"Why? Don't go, please. Ghost- Simon. Please don't go, Simon." I say, my voice slightly shaking from the fear of losing him. His arms opened up and I immediately went into him, his arms gripping me into a hug as I rested my chin on his chest. "Why are you leaving?"

"Sudden mission on a drug cartel. They need their best soldiers they've got." he simply states, kissing the top of my head. My eyes shut and I feel my body getting weak. If they need their best, what happens if he dies? What happens if he doesn't come back? What if I never see him again?

"No...no." I whisper, burying my face into his chest and a tear rolling down my cheek onto his shirt. He rubs the back of my head with a hand.

"Let's just get some sleep, c'mon." he whispers back, letting go and taking my hand as he guides me back to my bed, him laying down and patting his chest for me to go onto.

I climb on without hesitation and he strokes my back gently as I silently cry, only slight sniffling and calming hushes fill the room. 

"Y/n?" he mutters down to me.

"Mm?" I reply, sniffling slightly.

"You'll be here when I get back, yeah?" he asks quietly, almost embarrassed to ask.

"Mhm, of course."

"Alright."

It's silence for a short while but he sparks up another sentence.

"It's four days plus two and a half for travel. So about a week."

I nod. "Okay." He rubs the back of my head, playing with my hair. He twirls it around his digits and massages my head slightly trying to calm me down.

It's silent for more. He wants to speak and so do I, but we aren't sure what to say. So we just lay there, slowly drifting off to sleep. Until I heard a murmur.

"Y/n?"

"Mmm?"

"Take me to a nice spot for tomorrow." he suggests. "Somewhere where I won't regret please."

"Alright." I answer, thinking of places where we could go, but not moving an inch.

We both drift off to sleep, our hearts beating in sync. A last night together, the last bond.