Twenty Eight

My shift ends with no sign of Ghost, but a sign of Lola.

I take off my apron and hang it up, grabbing my tote bag once more and walking home. Except, I get a call. My phone vibrates in my pocket to see Lola's number and profile appear. I answer the call.

"Hey! Just got off of my shift now."

"OMG, hi! I thought you would around this time not even gonna lie!" she exclaims through the phone, giggling afterwards.

"So, you want to come to my apartment?"

"You have your own place? That's adorable! Yes! I'll get dropped off there, message me the address."

"Alright." I end the call and message the address and begin walking home.

I got there rather fast, but not before Lola. She waited on the pavement with a smile when I came around the street corner, I hurried up and jogged over to greet her.

She wrapped her arms around me, her fragrence filling my nose. Lavenders, vanillas, flowers in general. A smell you'd call expensive. She released me and gestured for me to open the door, which I do and go into the complex, leaving the door open for her.

"It's so cute in here, like your own little dorm!" she squeals, excited to be in somewhere she isn't used to.

"It's not bad here. Rents cheap." I reply calmly, walking up the stairs and leading her to my apartment door.

I stop outside my door, looking at Ghost's door opposite.

"Right, so this is my apartment. We have to keep quiet, my neighbours don't like noise."

Lola quiets down and nods in excitement as I unlock my door, letting her into my small flat.

She looks around and squeals once more, "It's so cute! I wish I was economy class!"

I furrow my eyebrows in curiosity as I shut the door, not knowing whether she knows it's rude to say that. I guess that she doesn't and brush it off as she sits on my sofa and looks at me.

"I love this little place! It's so nice to see you again, though girl!" she exclaims, her accent Americanised from being all across America.

I smile and nod. "I know, thank you. It's nice to see you. I see you haven't changed from college."

Lola raises her eyebrow, her tone dropping. "What's that meant to mean..?"

"Ah, not in a bad way. It's nice to have someone different around. I adapted to the town's sort of rural vibe."

"Oh!" she laughs, her mood now light again. "I thought you were insulting me!"

I laugh along with her, feeling rather unsure about being in her presence once more. Throughout college, she was ruthless to people. She would shit talk anyone who looked at her and spread tons of rumours. She was the queen bee, as stupid as that sounds. She was American coded since she was born.

I then get a notification on my phone as we laugh together. She sits up and rushes to my shoulder as I pull out my phone.

Simon/Ghost  18:27

Who's round making you laugh?

She gasps. "Who is Simon slash Ghost? Who is it? Tell me!"

She grabs my arm and shakes me excitedly as another notification appears on my screen.

Simon/Ghost  18:27

Do you need me to call the police?

She gasps once more and giggles.

"He's my neighbour, see? I knew he'd be angry with all the noise-"

"Can I meet him?" Lola asks, almost shouts.

I chuckle nervously before she runs to my front door, banging into it. She retrieves her balance and opens the door, yelling down the hallway.

"Simon slash Ghost, reveal yourself!"

I put my head in my hands as I hear Simon's door unlock and him come out, balaclava on and in a black compression shirt and grey sweatpants, leaning on the doorframe raising his eyebrow at the diva facing the opposite way.

"Where are you Simon slash Gho- oh..." she exclaims before turning her head and seeing the muscular, tall figure looking down at her.

She turns to me, leaning on my doorframe, pinching my nose bridge. "Is that...him?" she whispers, without knowing what a whisper was. I nod slowly, she turns back round to him.

"Hi, I'm Lola, y/n's best friend! We've known eachother since college and I'm surprised I haven't ever seen you in town!" she yaps, putting her hand out and smiling, her eyes too obviously taking in his muscular frame.

"I recently moved in. I think you know my name." he shakes her hand, with his being twice the size of hers. His eyes trail across her outfit, making her very out of place for the town. A quick glance toward me then back down to her.

She smiles, letting go. "I'm only here for a week but I'd love to become friends if you want?" she excitedly proposes, giggling and looking back at me like a teenage girl. I lean on my doorframe with a blank expression, glancing between them.

"Sure, yeah. Nice to meet you Lola." he replies in his gravelly voice as per usual, a soft smile forming through his balaclava. His eyes pierce into her and keep inspecting her outfit, her skirt, her baby tee, the jacket, the bag, the cap. Everything.

It rests uneasily in my stomach and I furrow my brow slightly, worried at their interaction. Lola always stole my boyfriends - without ever intending to. But, in this case, she'll probably steal Ghost without knowing our connection. A soft sigh comes from my nose as I bite my tongue, them two just looking at eachother now.

"Right, Lola. How long do you have before you have to go to wherever you need to?" I ask, cutting the silence like a knife through butter. The tone in my voice allows that knife to be sharp enough to cut through the plate of which the butter sat, slightly annoyed.

"Oh! About an hour. But I so wanna explore town. OMG, wait. Can we all go around town together? Us three? I'd love it!" she proposes, gushing still. Her cheeks are flared up with a cherry red from treating Ghost like eye candy.

I nod slowly. "Sure. Give me a second to change, wait out here." I slip into my apartment, shutting the front door behind me. Leaving them alone.