Seven

Waking up at eight felt like bliss as I squinted my eyes at the light beaming through the curtains. I sigh and grin, knowing I have four days of relaxation. I roll out of bed and take a quick morning shower and brush my teeth, do my skincare and get ready for the day.

I put on a denim skirt with a white t-shirt over the top as casual wear and yawn finally waking myself up. I decide to go to the park to start my morning off strong, so I grab my tote and put my book inside along with the container, putting three slices of the bread inside.

I slip on some sandles and walk out my door, hearing the front door being opened as well. I rush down quickly but just miss the door, hearing it click as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I groan and just walk over, opening it and heading towards a local park. The sun radiates down on my (s/c) skin, making it glow. Despite having no makeup, I look like I'm glowing.

I reach the park and go to a bench, setting myself done. I cross my legs and get my book out along with a slice of banana bread acting as my breakfast, beginning to read.

The sounds of children running around and people having conversations makes me happy, having it as pleasant background noise as I dive into my book.

I feel another presence at the other end of the bench, turning my head to see Ghost.

I jump when I see him, shocked how he arrived so quietly.

"Hello! You scared me, you sneak around so much." I say playfully, smiling at him with my hand over my chest and another on my book now shut on my lap.

He just nods at me, still with the same balaclava on but in a white shirt and jeans. It looks like we're matching.

I inspect his outfit and smile, cheeks flaring slightly, at the thought of us matching. But I snap out of it, thinking of it as silly.

"Do you want a slice?" I ask, offering the container.

He shakes his head and leans back onto the backrest of the bench.

I pout, wanting to talk to him. His vague responces are torture for me.

"How's your apartment?"

"Fine."

"It's a bit small but it makes do."

"Mhm."

I sigh softly, looking away from him and grabbing another slice and eating it.

Midway through eating, I see his head turn to me.

"Why aren't you working?"

"Today's my day off, I work Wednesday to Friday." I reply, covering my mouth with my hand to be polite.

"I went in to look for you."

I slightly blush at those words, thinking that he only went in there for me.

"Any particular reason why?" I timidly ask, still rosy red but I try to cover it with my hand from me eating.

"You know my order, it's easier." he replies bluntly.

So he wasn't in there for me in the general sense, only to speak less.

"Did you get a tea, then?"

"Yeah."

It stayed silent for a while, me biting my tongue wanting to continue talking. I didn't like silence as I'm talkative, so I thought for things to say.

"Have you seen the river yet?"

"Yeah. Drove past it on my way here."

"It's really pretty, especially in the summer. The sun heats it up making it relatively warm to swim in."

"Yeah."

I pout, finishing the slice, knowing I have yet another non-verbal neighbour.

He continued to look at me, with me turning my head to face him sometimes. I finally turn to him and try to proceed conversation.

"Why did you come with an army uniform on your first visit?" I inquire, genuinely curious.

"It's my job. I'm granted two months off."

"Oh? That's really interesting," I reply, turning my body to face him more and smile. "Got any stories or whatnot? I bet it's sometimes pretty fun, no?"

"It's alright, I guess. I've seen a lot."

"Yikes, I bet. What role do you have?"

"Lieutenant."

Knowing a bit about army rankings from a relative, I know that Lieutenant means he was an important status within his task force.

"Oh wow, that's cool. If I known you were in the forces, I would assume you'd be in the top ranks." I say chuckling slightly, seeing him shift his body towards me slightly.

"Why's that?" he inquires.

"You're..." I pause, finding the words to say. "You're very muscly, very tall for sure. Yet you sneak around a lot, you seem to know what you're doing too. You get straight to the point."

"Ah, fair enough."

I shrug, smiling at him. "Why do you wear a mask?"

"I hide my identity, keeps me anonymous."

"But why?"

"None of your business." he bluntly says, an annoyance traced in his words.

I pout slightly at his rudeness. "Are you ugly?"

"Quite the opposite."

I furrow my eyebrows at his cockyness. I just nod, facing away towards the park once more.

"I've always wanted to enlist."

"Why haven't you?"

"I don't want to leave my hometown just yet."

He nods, facing away as well yet still giving me glances every now and then.

After a long silence, and a while of thinking, I decide to ask;

"Are you doing anything tonight?"

"No, why?"

"I can show you a good pub if you want." I ask timidly, looking at him already boring his eyes into me.

"Sure."

"Great, I'll knock at your door at eight?"

He nods, getting up declaring this the end of our (not-so-much-of-a) conversation. I smile as he walks off and wave, to him just nodding his head.

I watch him walk away and sigh. At least he knows how to speak, unlike the college kids downstairs.