Twenty Nine

By the time I've managed to pick an outfit out - it being a simple striped jumper and baggy jeans with a tote bag and sneakers - they've already started laughing with eachother, getting more comfortable. A pit gets deeper within my stomach as I click my door shut, them two not noticing I've come out.

"Hey, I'm done." I say, them finally looking over and raising their eyebrows. Lola has a large smile on her face and her cheeks full of red from how hard she's laughing, Ghost also having the print of a smile on his balaclava.

"Right, let's go!" she says excitedly, running down the end of the hall. Ghost puts his hand out to offer me to go first, to which I nod without a smile and walk in front, him following behind me. I put my hand in my pocket and quickly grab one of my wireless earphones and putting it into my ear just for some background noise, turning on some music. As I make it down the stairs, Lola stands at the door trying to push it open, grunting and fussing.

My shoulders drop and a sigh comes from my lips. "Look, let me do it." I say, pulling the door open. An "oh" leaves her mouth and a smile returns on her face, practically skipping out of the door, me following then Ghost. She stops on the pavement and holds her hands in front of her.

"Right, what is there? Is there anything new?"

I shake my head. "Nothing new, not much change either. The playground got redone but I wouldn't think you-"

She gasps, interrupting me and her eyes light up, she jumps slightly like an excited child. "Can we go? Please? OMG!"

I raise my eyebrows. "Really?"

She nods and bites her lip, trying to contain her excitement.

I pout slightly and nod, my brain trying to work out if she's gained any sense of maturity over the years. She then runs in her heels across the path, almost tripping over twice. I follow on with a slow paced walk, Ghost behind me.

I hum gently as I make my way to the playground, seeing Lola in the distance trying not to trip. I then spot Ghost next to me in my peripheral vision. I turn my head to him, but then he walks past me. His pace quickens faster than mine and he follows Lola, catching up to her in the distance and walking along side of her, having a conversation with her.

My hands go into my pockets and clench onto the material as I bite my cheek. Why am I so angry? I have no reason to be angry, they're just talking. But I have this burning fuse inside of me, seeing them only sparks up more fuel. I take a big breath in and sigh, looking at the ground instead of ahead of me.

I eventually get to the playground, looking up and seeing Lola gasping and looking around. It had changed a lot since she left, before it was rotting basically. Now, it was new and colourful, metal replaced wood and there were many more trinkets for children - in this case, Lola - to enjoy. As it was late, we were the only people there. Lola rushed to a net swing and got in, running her hand through her hair and adjusting it whilst looking at a mirror. She had to look perfect wherever she went, even if nobody was around.

I stroll up to them, seeing Ghost push the swing from her request, and lean on the support bar to the side, watching her excitedly go "wee" like a child. A smile is plastered across her face as she laughs, Ghost chuckling as well.

They were enjoying eachother's company enough to forget about me. Twice.

I look at my phone to see the time, 18:46. I put it away, changing my song just before. I rest my head on the pole as they continue to laugh together, having much more of a good time.

"I have not had this much fun in ages! OMG wait, get me off. There's a seesaw!" she yelps with happiness, laughing in between. Ghost stops the net swing and offers his hand to help her out, to which they both walk over to the seesaw. I follow suit, wanting to feel like I was somewhat there.