Eight

Eight o' clock rolls round faster than I'd expect, with me quickly straightening my hair and applying subtle makeup, fixing the low cut, v-neck shirt I wore and making sure I looked casual but also rather formal. I fix my hair before checking my phone.

Eight o' clock.

I step out of my apartment only to find him leaned against the wall beside my door, smoking a cigarette.

"Hi! Sorry if I'm late," I say, noticing his cigarette as he looks down at me. His mask is still on but rolled up to expose his jaw with a subtle stubble across it. He had a sharp jawline and a strong neck which made my cheeks flare up, now believing his cockyness on his looks. "I-I don't know if you're allowed to smoke in here." I stammer.

"Oh well. Let's go." he replies, taking one last inhale before rolling down his mask again and making his way downstairs towards the building exit. He has a t-shirt on with a zip-up jacket and jeans, not as formal as me but not completely horrible.

He opens the door and holds it for me, which I thank and smile at him for. When he steps outside he steps on the cigarette and walks behind me, letting me lead the way.

As we walk to the pub, I slow down so we walk side by side, me closest to the road.

However, he stops a second, causing me to stop two and he nudges me over to let him walk on the road's side.

I smile at his considerate action and I blush slightly, knowing that he cared. I fiddle with the ends of my shirt.

"It's not far now." I mutter, wanting to break the silence.

"Alright."

We arrive at the pub and he yet again opens the door for me. I thank him and we both step inside.

Not many people are in this town, I said before, thankfully I chose the quieter of the two pub options, which is my personal preference luckily. The bartender greets me and sees the tall shadow behind me.

"Who's your mate?" he inquires.

"My new neighbour. I just wanted to get to know him more." I reply, smiling and looking behind and up to see him glaring at the bartender.

"Right, he's giving me a death glare so I'll just let you two get on with it."

I walk over to a booth and sit down, him sitting opposite me.

"What do you want? I'm just going to get a rum and coke."

"A beer'll do." he replies, looking at me. His head is tilted down and his eyes run across my body, not caring whether I find it rude to stare.

I call a waiter over and tell him our drinks to which he nods and goes to get them.

"How are you liking the town so far, Ghost?"

"Not bad."

"Is it anything like your home town?"

He stays quiet, looking down at the table. I can tell a struck a nerve.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean any harm in it-"

"It's okay." he said sternly. He seemed rather annoyed now which only made me regretful and nervous.

I sit in silence and we finally get our drinks, I begin to drink mine.

Yet again, he lifts his mask slightly to drink.

The way he parts his lips makes me blush as I inspect his lower half. He has a start of a scar across his lip and the light stubble across his chin emphasises his strong jaw.

He notices me looking after taking a sip and rolls the balaclava back down, me looking at his eyes with flushed cheeks.

"Told you I'm quite the opposite." he says, silently chuckling at my reaction. It was the first time I heard any emotion in his voice, which just made me blush and chuckle with him.

"Well if you had a mysterious man infront of you and you just saw a part of his face, would you not look?"

"I would, but I wouldn't be beet red about it." he replies, still laughing. He looks down and shuts his eyes, laughing slightly.

"Oh whatever." I say playfully, giggling. "Do you not want me to look? Because I can feel you every time you look at me you know?"

He looks back up, not fully letting his head up, but his eyes make contact with mine. "Oh?"

"Yeah, even tonight!" I say, smiling still, brushing my hair from my eyes and giving it volume.

He lifts his head fully and wraps his arms over the booth, leaning back. They take up half of the row from their size.

"Oh well." he replies, me just giggling at it. I can see a faint outline of a smile in his dark balaclava from the light. I take another swig of my drink and he does the same. Except I take one longer.

He then raises his eyebrow. "What's that for?"

"What's what for?"

"You trying to outdrink me, (Y/N)?" he questions, the first time he's said my name. My eyebrows raise and cheeks flare, it rolls so well off of his northern tongue.

"Not at all, what's wrong with me wanting more?"

"Absolutely nothing. I'd just be very shocked if you tried that."

"How so?" I inquire, leaning my arms on the table and my body over closer to him. I rest my chin on my interlocked fingers and squint my eyes with a smirk.

"Nobody at camp beat me, maybe MacTavish but he just gets completely piss faced." he replies, me not knowing who the 'MacTavish' person may be but still enlightened to hear the story.

"I bet I could," I say smugly, taking another sip. "but my summer job salary wouldn't cough up enough for a little contest sadly." I chuckle softly and look into his eyes.

"I can cover it if you really wanna." he offers, his mask still rolled up showing his slight smirk which sends my stomach into butterflies. I blush.

"Why not? Great way to bond!" I laugh and quickly finish my drink, having half a pint to go. He raises his eyebrows and I see his lips part in fascination and curiosity.

I smile at him as he finishes his beer likewise, chugging at least three quarts of a pint in one sitting. I laugh and clap, calling the waiter for another round for us both.

Tonight will be quite fun.