Thirty Nine | Bad Ending 2

I knew exactly where I wanted to take Ghost on our final day together before he would depart.

A certain spot within the fields, close to my apartment complex conveniently.

The next day, I took his hand once we got changed and we went to the spot that I thought of. We spoke about the mission on the way there, what exactly was going to happen and how he felt. The background on the actual cartel was an interesting topic as well, they didn't know who was leading it. 

We arrived and we both walked across the desired path to the area where me and my friends all used to sit and get drunk together, sharing the biggest secrets of our lives. Now, I get to share this spot with the man I trust. The man I love.

We sit down and sit opposite eachother, talking about anything that came to mind. At some moments, we just stared at eachother, but we did footsies or we playfully punched eachother.

I had the burning desire however, in one moment of silence, to ask him to be my boyfriend. I know that our relationship was practically past that stage but I felt like it needed to be asked. I held my breath, not sure whether to do it or not. He noticed my change in demeanor and commented on it, but I brushed it off.

We watched the sun slowly go down and held hands, him swiftly checking his watch every now and then.

"Hey, y/n?" he says after a short silence.

"Mhm?" I answer, perking up slightly.

"It's time."

I nod and gulp. "Ah, alright. Do you want me to walk you?"

"Yes please..." he mutters quietly, slightly embarrassed.

We both get up and hold hands as we walk back to the complex.

"I'm getting picked up from here in two minutes, so you can wait or go in." he states, rubbing my hand with his thumb.

"I'll wait with you. I don't want to waste any moments with you, y'know?" I say with a smile, looking up at him.

He smiles and nods.

Two minutes later, a truck drives around the corner. He taps my shoulder and thanks me for waiting, waving goodbye as the truck pulls up at the end of the road, him running to it. I wave back and smile. Then, the truck drives off.

Ghost sent me a goodbye on text and told me that a spare key was under his doormat but for me not to go into his apartment until a week later - the day he'd come back. I texted back that I promised I wouldn't and he sent one last message before leaving me on delivered.

I smile, but still upset that he's gone. I walk into my apartment complex and up to his doormat to indeed find a key there. I put it in my pocket for safekeeping and keeping my promise, not planning to open it until the seventh day. I walk inside my apartment and lay on my bed, slowly blinking off to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The week went by normally, like any week would. I was missing Ghost every single day but I managed to find ways of coping by calling Riley and taking walks, reading and sitting in the spot we last sat at.

The seventh day rolled around pretty fast and as soon as I woke up, I sprung up. As I was getting ready, I heard a firm knock at my door. My excitement increased and I ran over to the door, with a half done face of makeup for the day. I open it to find another man in military uniform. I recognised who it was right away.

A man called John MacTavish, one of Ghost's acquaintances that he had showed me a week ago. He showed me all of his team on his phone during one of our conversations.