Five

Once again, I struggle at the thougth of walking back home. A repetitive day, every day. After flipping the sign to 'Closed' and taking off my apron and visor, I sigh as I finally get my tote and walk out of the coffee shop, thankful I wore shorts.

I close the door and begin the short walk to my apartment.

I ponder about if the neighbour is there yet, to which I hopefully think they will be. However, there's no guarantee.

I yawn and rub my eye as I slowly make my way home, the evening sun radiating off of my skin. I make my way to the front of the complex about five minutes later than I usually would from my slow walking of tiredness; not having Riley there wore me out.

I unlock the main lobby door and walk up the stairs to my apartment, hearing no sounds from the neighbouring apartment. I groan, guessing they're not moved in yet. I unlock my door and get in quickly getting out of the uniform I had and putting on sweatpants and a baggy shirt, releasing my hair from the bun and plopping myself down on my sofa, turning on the television to watch an episode or two of a show I like.

The clock reads seven twenty eight in the evening with me planning to sleep a little earlier tonight to be able to get more motivation to work tomorrow. It's Thursday today, Friday tomorrow. The weekend is mine, along with Monday and Tuesday. The other two employees at the cafe work from Saturday to Tuesday, with me and Riley on shift Wednesday to Friday. It's relatively easy, but the three days I am there are tiring.

After watching an episode of my show, I turn the television off and almost jump into bed, immediately covering myself with the covers and falling asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My alarm chirped once again, not so gracefully as it may appear, at six thirty again.

I once again groan as I awaken, hating the repetitive routine of my days. I sigh and get into my uniform, checking the weather forecast that it'd be a lot cooler today. Instead of shorts, I put on flared leggings I bought last weekend with another black shirt, just a bit tighter as it's not as hot outside.

I go to brush my teeth and wash my face, as routine has it, and grab my tote walking out of my apartment.

As I was walking out, however, I managed to hear noises of footsteps in the apartment opposite me. A spark came across me and I smiled, knowing that tonight I can finally bake and greet myself to the new neighbour.

The cycle repeated again, walk to work early, put my apron and visor on, make myself a tea, clean up, wait for seven to come. Riley wasn't there again and I annoyingly texted them to ask why, we rarely exchanged texts as I didn't use my phone often. They replied to say they had food poisoning and I jokingly shame them over a voice note about their dreadful cooking, to which they just leave me on read.

I laugh and see on my screen that it's seven, so I flip the sign over and the day begins once more.

As before, the same couple faces come in early doors, order drinks, have them served to them.

However, no sign of Ghost.

Eight o' clock rolled around and I finally saw his broad frame enter with the chime of the bell, causing me to smile at him.

"Back again! Glad to see you, a tea?" I say, looking at him. He is dressed with the same balaclava but a grey t-shirt and black joggers. It's confusing to see him dressed in proper gear then casually, but I don't take note of it.

"Sure." he replies, putting his card on the already set up card machine. I get his mug ready, turning my head around.

"Go sit, or you'll just be standing there again." I mention, playfully. I chuckle afterwards and get the kettle boiling. The same process repeats, except he sits this time. In the same armchair, basically claiming it his now.

I walk over, handing his drink infront of him and smile.

"Anything else you need, sir?"

"What's your name?" he replies, taking me slightly by surprise. It's the most words he's said to me, with them not sounding as cold and monotone as his usual phrases. I stand and put my hands infront of me as he looks up at me.

"(Y/N). You're Ghost, right?" I answer, inquiring to confirm he wishes to be called Ghost.

He nods. "New to the neighbourhood." he mutters afterward. To see him starting small talk makes me smile softly.

"Ah! That's good. Is it nice so far?"

"Yeah, peaceful."

"That's good. I've lived here all my life, so if you need any spots I probably know where to go." I say with a soft chuckle, looking down at him stirring his tea with his teaspoon.

"I'll let you know," he replies, looking down at the tea. He hesitates to say something but decides not to proceed. I smile and walk off back behind the counter, letting him drink his tea.

Again, he drinks without me ever seeing him lift the balaclava off of his face. It fascinates me how easily he can blend in and stay stealthy. He's called 'Ghost' for a reason, I thought once more.

I shrug the thought off by hearing the bell, watching him walk out. I stand there, looking at the door fascinated.

"How does he do that..." I mutter quietly to myself.