Chapter 3

Ryder

I woke up it was dark I was scared, I didn't know where I was and I started to cry. I felt someone touch me and I screamed. "Shh its okay buddy its just me, you are safe" Ethan said, I was glad it was him and I turned and curled into his arms. "Man I wish I could help you, I am so sorry you are going through this. I know you are afraid little buddy but I am going to keep you safe I promise" Ethan said to me and I smiled. "Ryder" I said to him and he looked at me and he said "Ryder is that your name?" he asked and I nodded, "well that is a start it is nice to meet you Ryder" Ethan said and I hugged him tighter when the doctor came back into the room. "Morning how is he doing?" she asked, "good he woke up from a nightmare a few minutes ago and I don't blame him. I did however find out his name Ryder" Ethan said. "I have no record of him at all which means that his mother didn't ever bring him into a hospital, he has no vaccines and I want to get him started there" Dr. Finch said. "Of course do what you need too, but I would rather not make this harder on him, he is scared enough and I am not sure giving him a number of vaccines will be very easy" Ethan said. What was a vaccine and why did the sound of it scare me so much I just wanted to go somewhere safe. The hospital made me nervous and there were to many big words being used around me. "I will only need to do 2 one in each arm for now and then we will do it again in 3 months" Dr. Finch said, "Alright let me get him prepared for it" Ethan said, I was scared I didn't want this.

I cried and curled myself up, "Ryder its going to be okay, Dr. Finch is going to give you a vaccine so you don't get sick okay. I will be right here and I promise I will keep you safe" Ethan said. I trusted him but I was scared, "just close your eyes and hug me it will be over before you know it" Ethan said and I did what he said. I knew the doctor was close to me but I was to scared to open my eyes and I felt something cold on my arm and then a poke and it hurt I cried again. "Shh its okay" Ethan said as he flipped me over and then the same thing with the other arm. "Its okay buddy all done" Ethan said as he hugged me tight. I felt safe again and I knew as long as I was with him I was going to be okay. Dr. Finch left the room and someone else entered it was that social worker. I didn't want her to take me away and I was really nervous as she spoke to Ethan. "Judge Henderson gave you custody, all you need to do is sign this and he is yours. I will do check-ins with you ever 3 months just to make sure he is safe but I have a feeling he will be" Emily said. "Thank you Emily I appreciate it" Ethan said and I didn't know what was happening, Ethan signed a paper and Emily left. "How would you like to come home with me Ryder?" Ethan asked and I nodded I would like that very much. "Good let's figure out when we can get you out of here" Ethan said as he placed me on the bed and left the room. I didn't like that I didn't know if he was coming back. I started to panic and I just wanted him to come back, a few seconds later he was there. "I am sorry Ryder I should have told you, I was just getting a doctor, your okay I am here" Ethan said as he hugged me again. 

Ethan

I was glad I finally knew his name and it was the first and only word he spoke, I had a feeling he would need sometime. I just hoped the captain would give that to me, I wanted him to trust me. I didn't think pestering him about what he saw 1 day after it happened was going to go so well, but at least now he could come home with me. I can work on building that trust, I left him for 5 seconds to get a doctor. I wanted to see if we could leave the hospital, and I didn't realize me leaving would send him into panic mode. I came back quickly and assured him it was going to be okay, I would need to be careful how I did things from now on. Dr. Finch came in and said, "I have his release papers, I will see you again in 3 months time. If he has a reaction to the vaccine please bring him back in. I expect a fever to develop but if that does happen just give him some Tylenol and lots of rest" Dr. Finch said. "Alright thank you Dr. Finch" I said as she took out his IV and I realized he didn't have much for clothes and anything he did have burned in the fire. As if by saving grace Zoey arrived she had a bag with her, "hey I spoke to my sister and she had a bunch of clothes from her son. I thought maybe he could use them" Zoey said, "you are incredible Zoey thank you" I said as I helped him get dressed in the clothes. He smiled at me and it warmed my heart, "are you taking him home with you?" she asked me. "I am he was signed over into my care, Zoey this is Ryder" I said, "Oh you found out his name? so cute" Zoey said, "I did he told me, it was the only word he has spoken so far but I won't push him" I said. "Good and you shouldn't, are you taking him home now?" Zoey asked, "I thought I would take him to get some food first" I said looking at him and his eyes lit up, I laughed. "Sounds like he likes that idea" Zoey said, "Ryder would it be okay if Zoey joins us?" I asked him and he looked at her and then back to me and he nodded. "Zoey want to join us for breakfast?" I asked her, "I would love too" Zoey said and I think she was as drawn to Ryder just as much as I was.