Chapter 23

Ethan

I woke up to my alarm and I smacked it, I knew my mom was coming soon and I might possibly be going to work. I just wanted to roll back into bed and pretend to be a kid again, but of course I couldn't do that. I felt someone crawl into bed with me and I tickled him when he came closer and he screamed with a fit of giggles. "I wanted to wake you up gently" he said, "I was already up, you good with staying with my mom today?" I asked, "oh um sure" he said, "Ryder I don't have to go back to work if you don't want me too" I said. "No you should, I am going to be okay" he said. "Okay if she does anything to bother you please let me know" I said, "okay but do I have to talk to her?" he asked me, "well you don't have to tell her anything you don't want too. It would be nice if she knew what to feed you and such though. She won't pry I promise but she won't bite either" I said. "Okay, when will you be home?" he asked me, "for dinner promise" I said and he smiled as my front door opened. "Hello!" she said, "really, let's go bud" I said as we climbed out of my bed and I quickly dressed. "Mom what a surprise you are really early" I said, "Oh nonsense I came to make breakfast" she said, "good well I am going to take quick shower before work, Ryder you good?" I asked, "yup" he said a she let Axel outside and ran to play with his toys.

Ryder

I was playing with my toys and Ethan's mom asked me a question, "Ryder honey what is your favorite food?" she asked, "bacon" I said, and she smiled, "I can do that, anything you can't eat?" she said. "Um yes the red things in the ocean with claws" I said, "what?" she said, "I am not sure I ate it once with Zoey and Ethan and it made me not breathe right" I said. "Oh okay, I will ask Ethan" she said as he came downstairs. "Ask me what?" he said, "if there is anything Ryder can't eat?" she said, "yes he is allergic to shellfish, I have an epi pen if you need it" he said, "okay go it anything else I should know?" she asked. "Mom, don't push him okay, just regular questions. I don't need him reliving the past" Ethan said. "Yes honey have a good day at work and be safe" she said. "Always, Ryder I will see you at dinner, and if you need anything have my mom call me okay. I love you" he said kissing his head, "love you too dad" I said as he walked out the door. I felt a bit sad, but I was hoping that his mother would be fun, I mean if she wasn't Ethan could always just stay home with me. Although I would have felt horrible asking him to do that knowing he loved his job so much. 

"Breakfast is ready" Ethan's mom said, and I didn't exactly know what to call her, "thanks Ethan's mom" I said, "your welcome sweetie but you can call me nana or even Gloria is fine" she said. I nodded as I ate, she made really good bacon, I wondered what we were going to do today, I did notice her start to clean.

Ethan

I walked into work and stood in my office doorway Riggs looked a little to comfortable, "excuse me but should you be doing that in my chair?" I asked him, "dude! are you seriously back?" he said eyes lighting up, "I am going to try yes" I said, "Oh thank god, and I was just keeping it warm for you boss!" he said and I laughed I guess now technically I was his boss, "when you get a chance I want to talk to you, Collins and Wyatt" I said as I sat down it felt good. "Sure" Riggs said as he left the office. I didn't expect him to bring everyone in so damn fast but here it was the 3 of them in front of me. "Okay well, Riggs you are my best officer so I want you running point under me. I want you to lead the cases, Collins you are his back up and Wyatt you do what you do best" I said. "Of course Captain sir!" Wyatt said, "cut the crap guys we have been friends for years, just call me Ethan please" I said. "Oh yes captain Ethan sir" Riggs said, I threw a pen at him and he caught it, "I want to trust you guys to lead the rookies so that they learn from the best" I said. "of course Ethan, you can count on us" Collins said. "Perfect now get to work!" I said to them all, and they saluted me and left. I loved them all but they were a pain in the ass, I looked at the mountain of paperwork on my desk and sighed. This was not how I saw my day going as I started to sign and figure out what was in front of me.