Chapter 33

Ethan

Ryder had been going to school for a month now and he was still not really opening up but he was completing his work. I know preschool is not much but given his past I just didn't know what to expect. He hadn't made very many friends from what I could tell he even stopped talking about Carmen. I was worried about him but he didn't like to talk about school and I didn't know if I could help him anymore.

I did think a lot about what Zoey said and I think getting him a therapist would help us both, it was the only thing I could think of to do. I called the numbers that Zoey was able to get me a received a response from one. Her name was Clementine Taylor and she agreed to come to our house after school. In all honesty I didn't know if this would work or if he would even talk to her. I just couldn't watch him fall anymore and I was out of options. 

I was in my office doing the paperwork that Riggs loved so much, "hey boss" Riggs said, "Riggs" I said. "How is Ryder doing?" Riggs asked, "I don't know, he won't talk to me. He doesn't engage in school and I am at a loss here on what to do" I said. "He doesn't talk to you at all?" Riggs said, "he talks just not about the way he is feeling he is bottling it all up, the teacher said he sits alone and doesn't engage at all. Riggs he is 4 and this is not a good thing" I said. "No it is not have you told him about being a big brother?" Riggs asked, "not yet Zoey is telling him tonight, I am so worried about him Riggs" I said. "Have you let your mom see him yet?" Riggs asked, "no I don't want to sick my mother on him yet I need to figure him out first" I said. "Good call your mom is a lot to handle" Riggs said. "She has been wanting to see him but I just I don't really trust her, she did lose him once" I said. "It was an accident and he was just trying to rescue you" he said, "right but had she been keeping a closer eye on him then this whole Mikey business never would have happened" I said. "I hear you okay sorry" Riggs said, "Its fine I have to go pick him up from school, he is meeting with a therapist" I said. "Good luck man" Riggs said as I left and drove to my son's school.

When I arrived Zoey was there with Travis, "what is going on?" I said walking up to Zoey, "Ethan thank god we tried calling you" Zoey said. I realized it was Ryder in trouble and my heart sank, I had left my phone at home. "Is he okay?" I said watching Travis and his team trying to get him out, "he looks fine but he is really stuck and we are trying to get him out without hurting him" Zoey said. I walked up to the teacher I needed answers, and I needed to know why my son was trapped inside a metal cabinet. "Captain Shaw I am so sorry this happened" the teacher said, "What exactly happened?" I asked her, "I put the children into groups and I am not sure exactly how it happened. Next thing I know he is stuck and a group of boys were laughing" Mrs. Kinsley said. I looked over to Travis he finally had Ryder out I am sure he was the only one who could tell us what happened. I knew he wouldn't though and I sighed as Zoey checked him over, "does anything hurt honey?" she asked him. "No" Ryder said as he locked eyes with me and I walked over to him. "Are you alright?" I asked, "he is fine Ethan you can take him home and I will be there soon" Zoey said. She was only working a half day today because we planned to tell Ryder about the baby.

Once we were at home Ryder ran into his room and I let Axel outside, I wanted to go talk to him but I knew the therapist was coming. There was a knock on the door and I opened it to her, "hello" she said, "Hi please come in thank you for coming" I said, "No problem I heard a lot about him and I would really like to try and help. I know given his age it is hard to pin point certain things. I want to make sure that he doesn't have PTSD. Due to his age I am unable to medicate him for it but I would like to try and get him to open up" she said. "I am willing to try anything he is so withdrawn and out of touch" I said. I went to grab him and I walked in his room he was crying.

"Ryder bud I don't know what is going on with you lately, but I have someone here to help. Her name is Clementine and I would like for you to talk to her" I said. The look he gave me broke my heart but he followed me downstairs anyways. I left them to it as I went into the kitchen, I was going to try and give her some space.