29

I got home right in time because when I entered the kitchen, my dad was arranging the plates on the table.

"Are you done with the project honey?" Dad asked while putting the forks.

"Umm...yes. We're done" I said confused at first because I forgot about the lie.

"What was it about?" He asked seemingly curious. I panicked to be honest because I really wasn't expecting to be questioned about it.

"The Roman Empire" I said trying to sound convincing.

"What about it?" My dad insisted and it made me panic even more. I was horrible at history and I never played attention because I consider it boring. Why is he asking so many questions?

"I was actually the one who made the project's design. Victoria searched for the information and I made sure the presentation looked good." He just nodded but didn't seem convinced. It's like he was expecting something else from me.

We had chicken and vegetables, which were delicious. They always had their way around food and making it the best ever.

"Thanks for the dinner" I said then got to my room. Soon after, my room dor opened revealing April, who just jumped on my bed next to me. I was reading a book when she interrupted.

"You're a horrible liar" she said after a moment of silence

"What? What do you mean?" I asked confused

"It was obvious that you were lying. Even I noticed. I bet dad smelled you as soon as you sat down at the table" April said amused. But I wasn't amused at all

"But how do you know that?"

"It's the way you talk, move and also panic. You should ask Billie for some lessons. I bet she's good at lying" She said smirking.

Her advice made my eyes go wide as I couldn't believe what she just said. "Wh- I'm not talking with her anymore. What got into you April?"

"Then why are you like that? You were literally staring into space at the dinner table and smiling. If it's not her, then it's someone else.But no matter what, you know you can tell me. I never snitched" she said more serious now.

Honestly, she was right. I could always trust her because she never told my parents a thing. And now that she's getting older, I feel like we're closer and closer.

"Fine, I was at Billie's place, but there's nothing between us. We're just friends and she needed help with something. I couldn't tell the truth because I knew dad wouldn't agree" I said. She looked at me then smiled again

"What's so funny?" I asked

"You're not just lying to us but you're lying to yourself too. You two can't be just friends when you're thinking about her constantly, and don't worry, I won't tell mom and dad anything" she said then she jumped out of bed and left my room.

April never fails to surprise me. She's like that magic child from the stories that's hella wise and sweet at the same time. Every time I think of her, I curse the universe for the pain she has to go through.

~time skip~

It's been two weeks since the Billie event and I haven't heard from her. I sent her a text where I asked if her wounds have healed but she didn't answer. My delusional ass thinks she doesn't answer because she doesn't want to have conversations with me.

Which makes sense. If she's gonna answer today, I'll probably ask tomorrow too and so on. Even if she told me that she's healed, I'll keep asking again and again. It's better she ignored me, that way it's easier to forget about her.

"Ava, are you even listening?" Victoria snapped her fingers in front of me

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked and Victoria rolled her eyes.

"I was wondering if you are excited too"

"For what?"

"To meet Zack's boyfriend" she said smiling.

Apparently, Zack and his new boyfriend called David, have been talking for a longer period of time than I thought. He came out to the others too and today we're gonna meet him since they're official.

"Of course I am. I can't even believe he's been hiding him from us." I said excited. We kept talking for a while, then Travis made his appearance too.

We decided to meet up at a Starbucks since it's not as loud as the place we usually hang out at school.

Not long after, Zack entered the door, a taller guy holding his hand and following him. Zack is a bit more massive compared to the majority of the boys since he's in the football school team. The other guy was way more skinnier but he was taller.

"Whassup guys?" Zack asked as he took a seat, the other boy doing the same but without saying anything. We all said hi, then Zack smiled widely.

"Friends, this is David. David, they are Victoria, Ava and Travis" Zack said pointing at each one of us.

"Hi guys, it's nice to meet you" he said smiling.

We've talked for a while and got to known each other better. They told us how they met and we laughed when they were making jokes about some awkward moments.

David is not a new figure for me. After thinking for a second, I realised we were in the same geography class last year. He's the kind of quiet guy but also funny and smart when you get to know him better. He matches Zack's personality in a way that they also complete each other.

"I can't believe you'll leave me alone with all the chicks at the party dude."  Travis said laughing

"I don't know if you've noticed, but you've been alone the whole time" Zack joked tapping his shoulder.

We spent like two hours talking then each one of us headed to our homes. Once I parked in the driveway, behind my parent's cars, a feeling of something between disappointment and sadness hit me.

The car I was in started to make me feel like some kind of traitor towards my own beliefs. I was constantly waiting to get to my destination every time I was driving. I couldn't enjoy the drive anymore and that was something that used to be like therapy for me.

I got out of it and slammed the door a little bit too hard, which made me regret afterwards because the car itself didn't deserve it. Once I got inside, I found dad on the couch, studying some papers.

I suddenly stopped in front of him and that made him turn his attention toward me.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked letting the documents down

"I would wish to return the car to aunt Amber" I said quietly

"Why? I thought you loved the car" dad asked surprised

"I...do. But I don't think it represents me. I can't really explain it, but I can't drive it anymore" I said looking at him. This time, I gave up the lies. Even if it wasn't the entire reason behind my decision, there was no lie.

"Okay, I suppose I could use the car they offered me from the new job and you could take mine. But just so you know, I won't be able to borrow it to you all the time" he warned me

"It's totally fine dad. Thank you" I said and he smiled, but something seemed to be hidden behind that smile. It was sadness.