35

"Hope to see you guys again soon. It was really fun" Claudia said as we were walking towards the gates. We indeed had fun, but it was time to leave. I wasn't sure when mum and dad will be home so it was best to be safe than sorry.

"We had fun too. Maybe some day we could go out for dinner" I said smiling.

We got out while Finneas and Claudia got back inside because the dogs almost slipped out in the street.

We got in Billie's car but she wasn't starting the engine. She seemed to be really thoughtful for a second and she kept looking in front of us.

A couple yards away there was a black car parked and she seemed to zone out while looking at it.

"Can you...go back inside for a sec?" Billie asked referring to me and April.

"Why?" I asked

"I need to solve a problem" she said hesitant

"Billie. Don't you think it isn't the right time for your problems?" I snapped without realising. If she had to do something related to her fucked up job I don't even know about, it wasn't the right time. My mind immediately flew to the gun she had in her glove box.

"I really need to do this, Ava" she said pleading

"No, Billie. We're not going back inside. You drive us home"

She looked at me with an expression I couldn't read, then she opened the door and rushed out of the car. I tried to grab her hand but she was too fast. I tried to unlock the car's door and go after her but to my surprise, it was locked. I don't know how she was able to do it, but I couldn't unlock it from the inside.

"What's going on?" April asked and I honestly didn't know what to say. I started to panic.

Billie got to the car's trunk and opened it. She got out a Louis Vuitton backpack then walked towards the black car she was striding at. She knocked on the driver's window, which opened right after.

I had no idea what they were talking about but I wish I did. I also wish we left when she told us to. What if we were in danger? She seemed to be pretty intense during the conversation and that scared me even more. April grabbed onto my shoulder but she wasn't saying anything.

After a few minutes, Billie opened her backpack and got out something I've only seen in movies. She was holding in her hand a few bundles of cash made out of one hundred bills. She handed them to the person inside the car then closed her bag and said a couple few words before making a few steps back.

The black car got moving and left with what seemed to be thousands of dollars. Billie got back to the car and threw the backpack in the trunk she left opened.

When she got in, she seemed a little bit pissed of but she was clearly trying to hide it. She smiled at me but I definitely wasn't going to return it because I was angry myself. How could she do this? She promised she won't put my sister in danger and that's exactly what she did.

All the way back home we sat in silence. April must have noticed the tension between the two of us because she was on her phone the whole time. Something she never did before around Billie.

When we got home, Billie parked the car and waited for us to get out but I had something else on my mind.

"April, you can go inside. I'm coming too but I need to discuss something with Billie first." My sister just nodded and left the two of us alone. As soon as she got inside, I turned towards Billie and let it out.

"What the fuck was that? I told you not to do some dumb shit of yours while you're around my sister and that's exactly what you do. What do you think was in her mind while you handed a stack of money to a person on the street?" I yelled at her. I felt so angry I couldn't control myself. My heartbeat was way faster than usual and I was ready to punch a wall.