Prologue

News headlines were flashing in the hospital corridor. There was a complete silence. Occassional gasping was heard though, along with the beeps of machines.

Thud

"Dr. Ram!" Dr Nikhil ran to his aid. But all was futile. After watching the news of death of his own son, no father on earth could keep calm!

Nikhil signed a Dr. Ragini who too was standing in disbelief. With her eyes full of tears, she nodded and started walking towards the forensic department. As she entered the lab, she saw Swara sitting on the stool busy with some test tubes.

"Ragini! Thank God you came!" Swara's eyes twinkled seeing her best friend, "I don't know why, I am feeling quite uneasy since morning. Sanskar is not picking up the call."

Ragini could not say anything. She just stared at her and took the phone from her. Just few days back, when Sanskar was standing just a few inches from death in the same hospital ICU, Swara's world almost collapsed. She remembered how Swara was sitting maintaining a strong face, trying to show her false demeanor of calmness so that his family could not shatter. But what would she do now!

"What happened Ragini?" Swara asked.

Ragini could not say anything. She held her hand tightly.

"Is there something related to Laksh?" Swara asked, "He went to the same mission as Sanskar na!"

"Laksh is in hospital Swara! He was shot in chest by terrorists!" Ragini said trying to be strong for Swara. But her trial was futile. Tears fell from her eyes and she hugged Swara tightly.

"Ragini! Let's pack your bag! You are leaving for Kashmir right now!" Swara said, "I will call Sanskar! You don't worry! He will be fine! Sanskar is with him na! He won't let anything happen to his brother!"

Ragini tightened the hug and her cries were echoing in room loudly. Only she knew what would Swara feel as she herself was going through the same feel!

"He is not with him! He will not be with him or any of us forever!" Ragini cried hard.

"Ragini! Don't be angry on Sanskar! I know he won't let anything happen to Laksh!"

"He tried to save Laksh! He did everything he could for him."

Swara's forehead frowned. Ragini was one of the most understanding girl she had ever witnessed. She never talked rubbish. But what was she saying now?

Swara broke the hug and looked at Ragini. Her gaze fell over the staff watching them from outside. She could sense pity for herself in their eyes.

"Ragini! Is Sanskar fine?" Swara's voice was trembling. Ragini lowered her gaze and wiped her tears. Taking a deep breathe, she said, "He was shot too. And then, those terrorists threw him off the cliff in water!"