Chapter 1

A nice misty morning of December in Delhi was brightened with sunlight peeping through the mist. As sunlight entered the laboratory of forensic department, microscope was illuminated with more than the required amount of light causing the lab to glow in a golden gaze which was usually dim litted and heavy.

"Dr. Ram sir!" Peon entered and gave him a medicolegal report to be signed. He looked at the report and signed it lazily.

"Sir! At least look at the report." Peon insisted.

"I saw the sign of the one who prepared it. I know I don't need to review it." Ram smiled looking at peon.

Peon chukled a little and said, "Well you are right!"

"Has she not come yet?" Ram asked.

"She is here only. Just came back from autopsy room." Peon signed at a the girl standing on the other department of lab, trying to find something in the viscera sample she had just taken out from dead body.

Ram smiled at the skill she had with the dead bodies. She could really make dead talk with her skills. Even the minute details could not be missed by her.

"She is responsible for the right judgement passed on for many complicated cases. How can I doubt on the reports prepared by her?" Ram said with a smile.

Peon forwarded another report. But this time, Ram took a long time to study that.

"Where is Dr. Uttara? Call her!" Ram held his head after reading the report.

"Yes sir?" Another girl entered the lab.

"Dr. Uttara! Recheck this report. This is wrong at so many levels!" Ram politely refused to accept the report. He knew human errors could be possible anytime, but there was a difference between human errors and lack of knowledge.

Uttara's facial expressions changed and a look of jealousy was evident for the other doctor who was just minding her own business unaware of these happenings.

Ram noticed everything. Being a forensic expert for last so many years, he had met so many criminals and saw so many crimes too.

"There is no need for such expressions for your colleagues Dr Uttara." Ram again said with a stern politeness, "If she would have done mistake, I would have done the same to her too!"

Uttara did not say anything. She nodded and went away cursing Ram under her breathe.

Ram stood up and went inside the autopsy room where the girl had just finished the autopsy and took out various samples.

"Dr. Swara Bose!" Ram called her name and she turned. She was in a green hospital scrub with her mask and protective goggles on as she was preparing the samples to be produced.

"Good morning sir!" Swara replied politely with a humble smile evident behind her mask.

"Done?" Ram asked

"Yes sir!" Saying so, she signed her assistant to make the body ready to handover to the relatives of deceased. Just before leaving, she did a silent prayer in her heart for the departed soul.

As she took off her gloves and dressing gown, Ram examined the sample thoroughly.

Looking at the sample, he said, "In the last summon I attended, justice Dubey was praising your skills. Keep it up!"

"Thank you so much sir!" Swara replied curtly.

"Now I have been called for another summon. Need to go with your reports. Call me if any emergency."

After Ram went away, Swara took some test tubes and started to perform a test. She did not realise when 3-4 hours passed like this.It was when she noticed a man standing knocking on the door. His chocolate brown eyes were narrowed with anger.