1

𝟭: 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗖𝗨𝗣𝗜𝗗

In my bedroom, the only sounds present were the rhythmic clicking and clacking noises created by Donghyuck's pen, along with his melodious and seamless humming that harmonized with the music playing in the background. The room had experienced a peaceful pause of three minutes, and this allowed Donghyuck to concentrate on his homework without being sidetracked

So I seized this chance to recline on my mattress and embrace my pillow tightly. My mind became overwhelmed with a jumble of thoughts. And by thoughts, I was referring to Mark Lee.

Donghyuck muttered quietly, his pen lightly tapping his chin while he mentally computed equations. His pupils widened, as if a brilliant light bulb had materialized, and within a moment, he hastily jotted down numbers on his graphed paper. "Alright then," He said and rested his pen. "I solved two mathematical problems. It's about time you address the matter of introducing me to Naomi, isn't it?"

I gave him a fierce look, my mouth gradually transforming into a disapproving scowl. "What reason do I have to do that? You haven't done anything to me with Mark. It's unfair."

Donghyuck expressed his frustration by emitting a loud groan before burying his face in my bedcovers. Despite his complaints being muffled, he persisted. "Juliane, seriously, I've exhausted all possibilities. It's time for you to accept that the dude has zero interest in you." He lifted his head to meet my eyes and emphasized, "He's completely infatuated with Gwen Stacy. There's absolutely nothing I can do to change that. I can't force him into developing feelings for you... that's unethical."

He made a valid argument. It pained me to acknowledge it.

Mark Lee and I were merely acquaintances. Nothing more.

If Donghyuck and I happened to be in the same room, that was the only time we would initiate conversations. The most extended talk we ever engaged in lasted about 10 minutes. Donghyuck was kind enough to lock himself in the restroom, feigning a need to relieve himself, leaving Mark and me with no alternative choices but to converse. I recalled that the majority of our talk was awkward. Nevertheless, I cherished those fleeting 600 seconds.

On second thought, I assumed that Donghyuck genuinely exerted himself as Cupid.

I rose from the bed, and leaned my back against the bed frame. "There is a basketball game between Midtown and another one in a couple of weeks. Naomi will definitely attend due to Thompson's presence, and I will go along with her. You and Mark are welcome to join us, and the four of us can sit together. We can then improvise from there." Extending my arm, I gestured for a handshake.

Donghyuck's eyes sparkled with excitement upon hearing my plan. "Deal-" He started to say, but I interrupted by quickly retracting my hand.

"But!" I declared, resolute and emphatic. "But, it is crucial for you to guarantee Mark's presence. I swear... whenever you give an invitation to him, he never shows up."

Donghyuck's lips curled into a knowing smile, implying that he possessed privileged information. In an instant, the enigmatic smile vanished and he turned to me, whom was expecting an explanation. "I can't assure that, Jules. He has a hectic life. Private and urgent matters calls for him all the time."

It was always the same. Every time Donghyuck and I manage to find a suitable moment for Mark to join us, be it for studying, having a meal in the canteen, or simply hanging out, he consistently vanished hastily as if it the world depended on it. And the reason behind it had always eluded me.