45

𝟰𝟱: 𝗡𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗬'𝗦 𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘

I had been sitting in the waiting area of the hospital, my thoughts and emotions were in a tense and anxious state as I impatiently waited for somebody to come out and fill me in about my brother's condition. The uncertainty and not knowing was hard to bear, and that filled me with nothing but immense sense of fear and helplessness. Fortunately, Mark was with me. He was perched right next to me, and had his hand on top of my knee for support. It did ease me a bit more, knowing that at least somebody was here.

I tried calling dad and mom for more than a thousand times, but they didn't answer at all. I knew something was wrong. Something very wrong, but I couldn't figure out what, which drove me crazier. Venom did cross my mind numerous times. I knew he knew something.

But I couldn't afford to think about that now. My entire mind was clogged up with the concern of whether Taeil would live or not, as well as the absence of my parents.

"Hey." Mark cooed. He noticed how much my hands had been trembling, so he reached out for them and squeezed it around his grip, the warmth and touch so comforting it nearly made everything better. "Don't worry~ Everything's gonna be alright Juliane."

I tried to look at the brighter side. But that was hard to do, especially since the sight of Taeil's unconscious body on the ground surrounded with a puddle of blood kept flashing in my mind and added more to the trauma. I could only relax if somebody in this building would fill me in about the situation, but none had done that yet. It had been more than an hour and I was starting to get really hopeless.

There was more waiting. And more waiting.

Eventually, somebody finally emerged out of the dimmed hallway and called out for my name. "Juliane Moon?" The man's eyes hovered over the waiting area, only to notice that it was only I and Mark who were present.

I immediately got up on my feet and walked towards the doctor, with Mark following from behind. "Yes, that's me. What happened to my brother, doctor? How's he? Is he alright? Is he gonna be alright?" I attacked with questions, my voice was cracking and raspy from all the hysterical crying I had done. And Mark kept his hand on my back, yet another gesture of comfort and support.

The doctor kept a notepad curled around his arm, and skimmed through his notes before replying to me. "Don't worry Miss Moon, your brother's heart is still beating. But since he had suffered 4 brutal knife stabs on the stomach, I must say that he will most likely be unconscious for a long time. In short words, he's in a coma. We must keep him under the roof of the hospital for now, under our care. Are your your parents here to sign any documentations?"

"Uhh..." I faltered. "I don't know. I'm... I'm gonna have to keep calling my parents, but..." I paused, looking the doctor into his eyes. "Could I see my brother? Please?"

The doctor nodded his head and extended his arm out towards the hallway, showing me the way to the room. And immediately, I rushed down the corridor and pushed open the door room of Taeil.

There he was, lying in a hospital bed, hooked up to a range of medical equipment and monitors overseeing his condition. His face was pale and drawn, and his breathing was shallow and labored. He was in a very fragile condition.

I broke down in tears silently, unable to bear the sight of seeing my dear brother in such a vulnerable and frail state. With brimming tears, I walked over to the bed and kneeled down, my hand reaching out for his. "Thank God you're okay... Thank God." I mumbled, my lips pressing against the front of his hand.

Meanwhile, Mark stood by the entry, his face puckered out of pain to see me in such a state.

And not long after, somebody else bursted in the room. It was Taeyong and Donghyuck.

Taeyong's eyes widened at the sight of his friend in the hospital bed. He immediately rushed towards Taeil and I, and examined Taeil from head to toe with an worried look on his face.

Donghyuck, did the same. Donghyuck slowly placed his hand on my shoulder, gradually pulling me up on the ground, and once I was back on my feet, he hauled me in for an embrace. Donghyuck pulled my head into the crook of his neck, gently caressing me around his arms as a sign to let all my tears out, and I did. I sobbed uncontrollably, and Donghyuck hug's got tighter and comfier.

Taeyong, who had been trying to suppress any tears from showing, immediately looked away and drew closer to Donghyuck and I. "Juliane." Said Taeyong, his hand landing on my back. "You can stay at our house if you don't feel comfortable getting back to yours."

I sniffled, pulling away from the hug and eyeing my brother's friend. "It's fine... I think I'll stay here with Taeil tonight."

Taeyong nodded. "Okay. I'm just saying, you're always welcome to stay home with us. Okay?"

I smiled. "Yes. Thank you Taeyong."