2

𝟮: 𝗟𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗦𝗖𝗛𝗢𝗢𝗟

I calmly strolled my way to school, through the bustling streets of Queens, as if I wasn't already 15 minutes late for Chemistry class. While holding my phone against my ear, the other hand swung nonchalantly by my side. Despite Naomi's loud complaints about my tardiness, I remained fully engrossed in the surroundings.

The streets have always been familiar, with the same individuals who had their very own unique goals and narratives in their lives. It never ceased to astonish me that each of them possessed their own personal stories. Some may be experiencing a terrible day, while others may be enjoying their finest moments.

"Juliane, do you hear what I'm saying? You can't always be late, your absence will be as tall as the Eiffel Tower."

"Stop with the hyperbole, Naomi." I responded. "Why are you on your phone? Hasn't class begun?"

"Miss Parker is late again."

"Oh shit. Is she? If I walk faster, I might be able to arrive on time."

"What type of rich girl walks to school?"

"I choose to do so for my own reasons. Kindly save a seat for me."

"Too late. Donghyuck, your friend, has already taken the seat and is clearly indicating that he has no intention of leaving. It is frustrating dealing with someone like him."

"Excuse me, why do you dislike Hyuck? He is a friend of mine, you ought to get along with him."

"He scares me..."

"Are you kidding? He is just a bundle of sunshine."

"That is the reason... I feel intimidated by people who are lively and enthusiastic as it gives me a sense of confinement."

"Regardless, treat him with kindness. Believe me, he just wants to have a better relationship with you. Anyways, I will arrive in 10 minutes."

As Naomi's goodbye was brimming with annoyance, I ended the call at last. I put my phone in my pockets and securely held onto the strap of the tote bag I was carrying.

While walking casually, my mind became filled with thoughts again, causing it to become clogged once more. I couldn't help but smile when I imagined Donghyuck and Naomi sitting together. I was certain that he was having an incredibly enjoyable time. I sincerely wished for him to get along well with her. Naomi didn't easily like people, and to be honest, Donghyuck wasn't someone who would be instantly favored by everyone.

Boom.

Out of nowhere, my train of thoughts was interrupted by the sounds of chaos echoing through the nearby streets. I instantly became motionless, seizing the opportunity to observe my environment in an attempt to comprehend the situation unfolding before me.

The situation was in complete disarray.

A large portion of the inhabitants of Queens were running in the opposite direction from where I was going, alarmed cries and shouts indicating a threat to everyone. Although I was unsure about the exact situation, I was certain that it originated from a distant location and if I didn't escape soon, I would inevitably be trapped in the peril.