13

𝟭𝟯: 𝗡𝗜𝗖𝗘 𝗥𝗘𝗙𝗟𝗘𝗫𝗘𝗦

The Basketball Match between Midtown High School and Somerset High School took place on this day. Apparently, there was an ongoing Basketball Tournament in which multiple High Schools in Queens participated, to win the Basketball Championship Trophy. I would not have been aware of Midtown's participation in the tournament if Naomi hadn't informed me. She had been keeping me updated since their first game. And now, I presumed that today's match would be one of their final ones. If they emerge victorious, they will have the chance to face Newtown High School in the ultimate battle and claim the trophy.

There was an hour and thirty minutes before the match could commence.

I found myself inside the gym hall of Midtown, accompanying the SoMe club (Specifically Donghyuck and Naomi), whom were doing SoMe business. Since they were responsible in promoting the school through social medias, they did their very best to do so through the different clubs, and in this case, the Basketball club. Their team wanted to ensure that this event would look fabulous in the pictures that they planned on posting online later, hoping to gain approval from students, teachers, parents and possible future students too. It seemed like a tiring duty, but I could tell Naomi was enjoying it. Not particularly Donghyuck though.

Within the gym hall, there were also other people present other than the SoMe club. There were the cheerleaders, practicing. And some of the basketball players had also arrived to do early warm-ups.

There were finished and unfinished banners splayed on the ground, just right next to the bleachers, where most of the SoMe club members worked on. Donghyuck was kneeling down, making some final adjustments to the banner he was working on that said "We Love You Flash Thompson."

"You cannot be serious." I tried to suppress my giggling.

Donghyuck sneered, his face vividly red because of both embarrassment and annoyance. "This isn't my idea, okay? Loving Thomspon would be something I'd do last. This is Naomi's idea." He smeared glue on the heart-shaped papers before pasting them everywhere on the banner.

"So this is what you and Naomi had been working on, in your bedroom?" I crouched down into an Asian squat position, to inspect their banners closer. "How romantic."

Donghyuck slammed his glue on the ground. "I don't get it, you know? Why does she like that arrogant son of a bitch?"

I shrugged. "Every woman in this school does."

"You do too?"

I gagged. "Of course not. I mean, yeah sure he's really good looking but... He doesn't really possess the ideal personality. I surmise some of these poor girls are just victims of his pretty facade."

The tanned boy flouted. "But he displays his doucheness so publicly. They're no victims, they're just stupid."

We heard heavy footsteps resonating through the entire hall, and slowly made its way to Donghyuck and I. It was Naomi. I could sense her overflowing enthusiasm as she dearly gripped the enormous banner she had. "Take a look at this! It's finally been printed!" She unfolded the banner frantically. It depicted a collective photograph of the Basketball team, featuring their team name 'The Flashes' prominently displayed in bold font at the center. And to be frank, it appeared quite remarkable.

As I stood up, I smiled supportively. "That looks amazing Naomi, nice job."

"See?" Donghyuck pointed. "He's so egocentric, he had to name the team, The Flashes. Absolutely ghastly."

Naomi went down on the floor next to Donghyuck, before splaying the banner open on the ground. She looked up toward the flock of boys warming up with basketballs in their hands, suited in jerseys and shorts, before giving the tanned boy a nudge. "Hey, you know he's right there. Keep it down." Naomi whispered.