59

𝟱𝟵: 𝗗𝗢𝗨𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗖𝗘

It was almost 5 in the afternoon, and the sun was commencing to set and that meant that Mark had to leave soon. For the past hours, I, Donghyuck, Mark and Jaehyun had been working together to examine the Stacy's residence through Google Maps. Unfortunately that was the only way for us to gain an insight of the place. But it was better than nothing. And I knew that it would only be a matter of time, before Mark had to leave the HQ. To be precise, 10 minutes.

Jaehyun conversed with Donghyuck, whom was packing his belongings.

Meanwhile, I was worriedly staring at Mark. He was by the tall glass windows, gazing down the glowing and bustling city of Manhattan.

I knew he had things clogged in his mind right now, and perhaps needed space, but unfortunately I couldn't help but intrude. I crept up behind him, my hand landing on his back. "Mark..." I murmured. "Do you really have to do this?"

I was obviously still hesitant about this entire situation. Of course nobody wanted their loved ones to be sent into hazard, even if it meant to save your other loved ones. So I was filled with nothing but concern for him. Profound concern.

"Juliane, we've been discussing for hours." Mark said. There was a frail smile on his lips. "There's nothing else we can do-"

"What if I go?" I cut off, causing Mark to widened his eyes. He was clearly in opposition of my suggestion. "I mean, I'm the one they want right? Why do you have to take this dangerous position for me? I don't like it. I don't like people endangering themselves for other people's sake. Especially if it's someone you care for. Isn't that unfair?"

Mark could see the genuine concern in my eyes. And that sight made his heart warm. He slowly glided his hand down my arm, and gave it a squeeze. "Because I have better chances at surviving and in general, because that's what people like me do. I'm a vigilante Juliane, that's what I do. And the fact that I'm doing this for somebody I personally love and care for... hell, that'll give me more reason to do it willingly." Mark smiled. "You don't have to worry."

He was persistent. So persistent. But he had a valid point.

Donghyuck cleared his throat. "Hey, I have to go now." He announced, now drawing closer to the two of us. "Naomi's father is asking about my whereabouts, because they've discovered that Juliane left the house. Don't worry I won't rat on you. I'll find a plausible excuse." He smiled at me with a small wink.

Donghyuck turned his head to Mark, his head cocking to the side swiftly with a small scoff. "And you Mark Lee... Don't you fucking die. Okay?"

Mark rolled his eyes, not being able to suppress a laugh before giving his best friend some sort of bromance handshake. "Don't worry. I won't~"

When Donghyuck bid his farewell, the three of us were left inside the conference room again. There was silence, and the silence made everybody tensed, mainly because of what Mark was about to do.

Jaehyun plopped Mark's phone into the backpack he brought with, and lifted it up from the table. "Phone's in there. If there's anything you need: Backup, or anything, we're only one call away. Okay?" Jaehyun said, now handing Mark his bag.

When Mark grabbed onto it, he gave Jaehyun a nod, a sign of gratitude. "Thanks." He cleared his throat, taking a deep breath. "I should also get going, now." He turned to me, waiting for me to say something. To be specific, he wanted me to hear my farewell, but instead he heard my opposition again for one last time.

"Mark... You can't-"

"Juliane~" Mark laughed, his head shaking and eyes rolling. "I'll be fine. I'll be back in one piece. I swear~" He leaned down and gave my forehead a peck. "I promise. I promise you that."

I sighed, nodding my head hesitantly. "You better not break that promise." I mumbled. I cupped his cheek and pulled him close for a quick lip to lip kiss. And when I pulled away, I could already see his tinted red cheeks and ridiculously wide grin.

Mark then turned to Jaehyun, and they both gave each other a quick hug and words of assurance. And he finally left the room.

"Oh God..." I mumbled and bit the tip of my thumb.

I turned away from Jaehyun, taking in deep breaths to rid of the stress I was getting by the absence of Mark.

Mark was persistent. But he wasn't the only one; I pulled my phone up and secretly texted Officer Walkers.