34

𝟯𝟰: 𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗟𝗘𝗧𝗘𝗦
𝙈𝘼𝙍𝙆 𝙇𝙀𝙀'𝙎 𝙋𝙊𝙑

Almost five hours of bus ride passed by as quick as I could imagine. Most of the time, I spent my hours letting Juliane sleep on my shoulder, and the other time when Juliane was awakened from her slumber, I spent it on joining the practice sessions that Gwen and Liz suggested to do. Coach Harrington advised the captains to not overwork ourselves, but we were all just determined. Juliane and I also spent most of our times exchanging glances, whenever we would eavesdrop on Donghyuck and Naomi's flirty conversations. With each second that passed by, I wished for it to never stop just so I could spend more hours with Juliane during the bus ride.

As I conversed with Juliane, I had my entire back pressed against the window. With this position, it was a lot easier for me to have a full sight of Juliane, of her face, of her body, of everything. It was much better like this.

"When am I getting invited to your house again? I bet Taeil misses me."

"Well, I guess soon. I won't lie, he really really likes you."

Those words caused my heart to melt. I could feel it deep in me: How touching it was to be liked by somebody's family members. "That's good to know... You know, you're so lucky to have an amazing brother like him."

Juliane could hear the slight tinge of sadness in my tone. She smiled warmly. "Yeah, I'm real grateful to have him..." She paused and connected eyes with me. "What about you Mark? How's your family like?"

There it was. The topic of family. That topic was always something I wanted to discuss with somebody, however whenever it was brought up, I become speechless. Perhaps it was the feeling of embarrassment, or just the feeling of not knowing.

"That's the question." A timid laugh slipped my lips as I instantly disconnected eyes with her. "I don't really have a family."

I could see in Juliane that she overcame with a sense of sympathy as she processed what I just said. Her expression softened. She didn't say anything. The silence was a sign for me to continue.

"Well, of course I have parents but they left a long time ago. I don't know where they are, or if they're even still alive but I couldn't care less." I laughed inwardly, trying my best not to dim the mood. "Why would I care about people who never cared about me?" I mumbled. I could feel my throat tightening as I held back all the emotions I wanted to release. "Anyways, my aunt Ben and aunt May took me in but... They- They uh... You know?"

Juliane nodded her head instantly, though calmly. She knew I couldn't speak out the word "died", so she ensured that I wasn't gonna feel forced to.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Mark." Juliane said. I could see her throat was shaking too, as though appearing that she herself was trying to contain any burst of emotional feelings. "It must've been very hard for you."

I grinned weakly with a shrug. "It was, but hey, I'm currently thriving in life. I've got Johnny, I've got Donghyuck and... I've got you. There's nothing more I could ask for."

Both of us just smiled.

"Decathletes, we're here!" Coach Harrington announced with an exhilarating tone.

The bus stopped at the designated destination after five hours of continuous travel. The weariness was visible on our eyes and faces, our bodies stiff and aching from the long drive. A few us immediately departed the vehicle as they couldn't wait to finally stretch and relax their bodies. Others lingered on board for a few more moments, soaking in the peace and quiet of the bus.

As for I, Juliane, Donghyuck and Naomi, we wasted no time and exited the bus with our belongings around our arms.

When we stepped out, we were immediately met by hotel's magnificence. This was one of tallest hotel in Washington, and it was a sight to behold. It stood proudly among the city's skyscrapers, its imposing structure towering over the neighborhood and looming like a beacon of luxury and elegance.

Everybody stared in awe, unable to take their eyes off it.

"I could stay here for an entire week." Said Donghyuck and lifted his camera up, to take a picture of the hotel's exterior. Well, to be exact, it was my camera, he just needed to borrow if for this SoMe duty he needed to accomplish.

"This is amazing." Jack mumbled after jumping off the bus, alongside Abraham and Kiernan who seemed to be as dazed as him.

Jeno smiled and trudged over to where everybody else, his eyes nearly turning into a straight line because of his grin. "If we win this, I'll throw a party at my house when we get home. I'll invite everyone."

Liz chuckled. "Sounds like a plan. And at least we're assured that we've gotten victory, unlike your friend." He nudged on Jeno. She was referring to Chenle.

Gwen turned over with knitted brows. "Isn't their match tomorrow? Just like ours."

Jeno nodded his head in response.

Excited, Cindy chimed into the conversation. "That's perfect. If they win, and if we win, I guess we could celebrate collectively."

Jeno smirked. "If that's what you want, then I suggest we take the party at Chenle's place. He's got a better place."

Without even noticing, the bus behind us had driven away, and Coach Harrington immediately stood before us to get our attention. "Okay Decathletes, and fellow SoMe members, let's head in."

Within the lavish interior of the hotel was a breathtaking display of luxury and elegance. Tall ceilings made of glass stretched up to the sky, creating a cavernous and spacious atmosphere. Soft, ambient lighting created a warm and inviting atmosphere. Richly decorated rugs covered the floor, lending a cozy and inviting feel to the space. Soft benches and chairs lined the perimeter, providing a place for guests to relax and socialize. The walls were adorned with elaborate decor and paintings, enhancing the lobby's sense of sophistication and glamour.

From what I heard, the actual competition for tomorrow was also gonna occur here in some venue, so it was convenient to both have the venue here as well as our residing room.

There were stands within the lobby where staff welcomed the guests, with big banners that said "Welcome To Washingaton, Decathletes". They weren't just welcoming us, but the other teams from other schools too.

"Of course they're here." Said Juliane, her gaze focusing on a group of Decathletes from the other side of the lobby.

"Now now," Liz placed a hand on Juliane's shoulder. "Don't let Woodcreek High get into your head, into all of you." She said and pore her eyes on the Decathletes of Midtown.

It seemed like only Donghyuck, Naomi and I were confused about this tension, so I decided to question it. "Why? Who are they?"

Gwen bit her inner cheek, her narrowed eyes still on Woodcreek. "They've been the winners for as long as we could remember. We lost to them since Freshman year and on."

The tension was palpable. The rivalry between us was real and had apparently been ongoing for some time. Their mutual dislike of each other was clear and obvious. It was as if this competition was a match between them as individuals rather than just as competitors.

"Okay everyone, settle down." Coach Harrington said and instantly blocked our sight of Woodcreek. "Focusing on other teams is pointless. You all need to focus on yourselves. Don't be distracted by their glares and badmouthing, okay? That's how you reach championship.

"That's my last name." Jack said proudly with a smirk. "We can do this guys~"

Coach Harrington smiled. "Good then." He sighed and pulled his sleeves up, clearly showing his tan lines from his Hawaii trip. "Okay, when we get checked in, all students must have a roommate. Girls with girls, boys with boys, that's the rule. Got it?"

"Damn it." Mumbled Donghyuck.