58

𝟱𝟴: 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗘𝗠𝗔𝗡

At around 2 pm, the mission had commenced. I, Mark and Jaehyun huddled behind and around Donghyuck. The guy in the chair had a seat in the middle of the oval table, with his computer, mouse and other essentials in front of him. On his computer screen, different angles and occupations of the NYPD's precinct were seen. Apparently, Donghyuck had already hacked into the system before, because as he proudly said earlier, he had been the guy in the chair for a very long time, meaning they've probably done this before too. Meanwhile, Naomi had just been dropped off by the police precinct, and we were communicating with her through a microphone, while she had a small earpod on.

"Oh, I can see you babe." Donghyuck said, clicking on one frame to expand it. It was recording the outside of the precinct at this very moment, and we spotted Naomi exiting a cab. When Naomi heard Donghyuck's words, she cluelessly scanned the area and spotted the camera and waved her hand. "No! Babe, don't do that. You're gonna look suspicious!" Donghyuck panicked, his hands on his face.

I could see Naomi stiffening her body, after realizing what she just did. "Of course. Sorry. My bad." She mumbled before heading in the precinct.

Donghyuck then shifted the frame to the office room of the precinct. "Okay, the office area seems to be a bit packed with police officers in their stations. But all are occupied eating, talking or doing something with their computers. You just gotta pretend like you're waiting for your dad, but you sneak in the Captain's private office room."

Soon, Naomi navigated her way through the precinct with the help of Donghyuck. When she entered the office, I could see from her face how her heart dropped and stopped at the sight of the abundance of men before her. She gulped. "Ah shit." We heard her mutter.

"You can do this Naomi." Encouraged Donghyuck through her earpod. "Just act casual."

It didn't take long for Naomi to blend with the police officers, because apparently they've known her since she was a child, considering she was a daughter of a police officer. There were a few chatters and laughters, until the attention was shifted away from her and now she was supposedly just "waiting for her dad". But she was quick to surreptitiously rush towards Captain Smith's office. Like a ninja, she was unnoticed and she slipped inside the room, of course not forgetting to close the door.

Unfortunately, though expectedly, there were no cameras in Captain Smith's office, so we could only see from the outside.

"Okay I'm in."

"Perfect." Jaehyun said and neared closer to the computer. "Now jus insert the USB in the computer."

"Okay, got it."

After a couple of seconds, a new tab appeared on Donghyuck's computer screen. We were all looking at the exact same screen, as the one Naomi was looking: The screen of Captain Smith's computer. And Donghyuck had managed to take control of it with the help of Naomi and that USB, so now he could basically do whatever he wanted with it.

"Okay just hang in tight there Naomi. I'll make this as quick as possible." Donghyuck assured.

Donghyuck clicked on the folders that was labeled as "file reports". And when it expanded, our eyes augmented at how abundantly disorganized it was. "Ah fuck. What the hell." Said Donghyuck. "Damn, well this tells a lot of a person." He mumbled.

Mark nudged him lightly. "Can't you just search it up? Search up Mr Moon's name."

Donghyuck rolled his eyes. "Duh. Of course." He grumbled. He tapped on the search bar and started writing my dad's full name: Myungdae Moon. And when he pressed the enter button, there was one file that appeared. It was named "Myungdae Moon: Case Report".

Donghyuck took a breath. And so did all of us. Even Naomi, she was watching the computer as well. "Okay." Donghyuck pressed the file, and there was a document with only one page and there weren't much written in it.

Donghyuck cleared his throat, preparing to read it out loud. "March 3. 2023, at 8:15 am. I, Myungdae Moon, would like to report a confession of my contribution about unlawfully helping transport prohibited high-tech weapons, through my shipping business MoonDelivery. And I am hereby reporting the foreman of this case..."

Donghyuck's throat bobbed, his lips feeling dry as his eyes laid on the name of the foreman.

"George Stacy."

I drew backwards slightly, overwhelmed by this sudden information. And immediately, I contacted my eyes with Mark. He seemed as stunned as I was. Donghyuck did too, and I presumed Naomi as well.

The only one who was a bit clueless, was Jaehyun. "What?" He spoke, shifting his gaze at the three of us. "George Stacy? Do you guys know who this man is? Who is it?" His questions attacked us like water cascading down, wanting to eagerly get answers.

Mark nodded his head slightly. "Yeah... Yeah, umm it's a classmate we know. Or... Or our classmate's father." He explained. His voice still low due to the immense shock we were in.

Donghyuck cleared his throat, now taking screenshots of the file for future evidence just in case. "Okay, babe, leave the office now. Don't forget to take the USB." Donghyuck ordered. After that, we lost signal of the computer, suggesting that Naomi had unplugged the USB now.

It made sense. I mean, my father was close with Mr Stacy. But I would've never expected it.

Ding. I felt a vibration in my pocket, and everybody turned to look at me.

I already knew what this was about. At least I had an idea.

I slowly pulled out my phone, discovering that I had received a message from an anonymous number. I could feel my hands shaking, but when I felt Mark's hand on my shoulder, I eased up a bit.

"Who is it?" Asked Donghyuck, very impatient.

"I don't know. It's anonymous." I explained. "It says... Parents at - 611 Swanson Ave at 5 pm. Come alone. What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I looked back at Mark, my eyes filled with so much worry.

Jaehyun and Mark looked at each other. Meanwhile, I was confused and Donghyuck just tuned in the conversation, though as restless as I was.

"It's obvious. They must've figured out that we figured out. Now they're threatening you to get to their house, to not reveal anything, but of course that's not happening." Mark said, instantly eyeing Jaehyun. "I'm going there. Only me-"

"Are you crazy?" I grabbed Mark's shoulder and pulled him to face me. "You alone? Without backup? Without anything? Isn't it best if we involve the NYPD now, well, maybe at least Naomi's father? We know we can trust him."

"No." Said Mark, sharp and sure. "People will get hurt." He said. "Look, maybe he's playing tricks and shit that's why we can't risk it. Therefore I'm going there, and that's it, no opposition or changes. I'll go there and get your parents back."

"But Mark..." I said, my throat shaking. "You're injured. Can your body really take this?"

Jaehyun nodded, taking a step closer. "Juliane's right Mark. At least let me be there to help you-"

"No." Said Mark, again, sharp and fast. "Because you're in a stable state, you have to be the one here to protect Juliane in case something happens. Okay?"

Jaehyun, a bit doubtful, still nodded his head determinedly.

I was obviously still very reluctant about this. "Mark." I said, grabbing his arm and forcing him to face me. "There's gotta be another way? Can't we assemble other people? Please, I don't want you to go there alone. That's fucking dangerous. Please Mark."

Mark smiled softly, then placed a kiss on my forehead. "Don't worry Juliane, I can't do this. And we have plenty hours of planning. Trust me."