9

𝟵: 𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗔 𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗦𝗢𝗥𝗘 𝗘𝗬𝗘𝗦

The Academic Decathlon Team of Midtown High consisted of students from different years: Gwen Stacy, Liz Toomes, Abraham Brown, Cindy Moon, Jack Champion, Kiernan Shipka, Lee Jeno and of course, the two new members, Mark and I. And lastly, the team wasn't complete without Roger Harrington, our Coach.

It was much the same as last time, Coach Harrington reserved the entire assembly hall to the team so we could have the opportunity to practice. As expected, the hall was quiet and empty, and despite the noisy and loud blabbers from the people, we were merely 9, and that number wasn't equivalent to how huge this place was. So it felt empty. Very empty.

Most of the Decathletes were on stage, perched by the long table with tap bells with them. Meanwhile, the Captains, Gwen Stacy and Liz Toomes took their stances in front of them with papers full of practice questions. They had all sorts of questions regarding the 7 subjects, and so far, the team seemed to be handling well in answering them.

There were stools splayed everywhere in the assembly hall, stools that faced the stage. That was where Mark and I were. We sat by a small table, filled with essentials used for studying such as sheets, computers, pen and so forth. Gwen and Liz suggested for us to study more, rather than immediately joining their practice as that would be unfair because they've used plenty of time studying compared to us. So it was only fair that we stayed behind for a bit.

A small yawn escaped my lips, and I proceeded flipping through the pages of the book I was currently skimming through. I wasn't even trying to hide the fact that I was tired, and a bit bored.

I spent my entire Saturday and Sunday studying, and finished an insane amount of books. I was getting tired already. In fact, I was a bit bummed that I wasn't permitted to immediately join the practice as I believed I was ready to some extent.

But the boredom I claimed to be suffering with, always disappeared when I reminded myself who I was sitting next to. Mark Lee. I knew it might sound odd, but being in Mark's presence was enough to make my day. Or, just by looking at him, that was also enough.

Mark Lee was handsome. But he wasn't to most girls in this school.

But for me he was. He truly was.

He had the kind of face that stopped me in my tracks. I was glad he hadn't noticed that in me: The sudden pause in a my natural expression when I looked his way followed by overcompensating with a nonchalant gaze and a weak smile. Of course the blush that accompanied it was a dead give-away. Perhaps it was because of his pretty doe eyes, or maybe it was his strong, defined cheekbones. Or because of his pearly whites, whenever he would flash one of those dazzling smiles, or crack one of those heartwarming laughs of his. Or... It could be all of the above.

He was handsome alright, but inside he was beautiful.

They say that a handsome man's beauty started from his hearty loving soul and radiates from there to create his final form.

And to me, that man was Mark Lee.

It quickly became apparent to me, that I was perhaps admiring Mark Lee obviously, or for way too long too. I had to cuss myself for being so obvious, but when I realized that he paid no attention to my stare, I was relieved.

He was rather focused on something else.

I looked into the eyes of Mark's, and slowly, I followed his gaze, and it landed on Gwen Stacy.

I felt a crack in my heart.

How funny. I was here admiring him, but he was admiring somebody else.

"Hey Mark..." I uttered out uncontrollably. I couldn't contain it. I wanted the sight to halt immediately.

Mark shifted his head instantly to lock eyes with me, and when he did, his lips formed into a small smile. "What's up?" He looked down at the book I was reading, before looking back up. "I've noticed you weren't even reading your book earlier. You tired?"

I shrugged my shoulders lightly, happy that he was even building up the conversation that I started. "I already studied during the weekends."

Mark grinned before snatching one of the spare, stapled papers of practice questions. "Let's see about that then." He said in a challenging tone before skimming through the questions. "Economics: The type of unemployment that rises in a recession is called what?"

"Cyclical."

"That's correct." Mark said, a hint of surprise in his tone. "The view that the laws of nature governing the universe were fixed and could be understood through the use of reason and logical inquiry is known as?"

"Teleology."

Mark's lips parted a bit, a sign of shock seen in his face. "Yeah that's correct... You know it's funny. I never would've imagined you to be that type of student."

I tilted my head, my eyebrow lifting in perplexity. "What do you mean by that?"

Mark sheepishly smiled, his shoulders raising. "Like you know... a smart student? I always believed you were that rich girl, who doesn't like people or school."

I shook my head, a small grin was seen on my lips. "Funny... You really have no idea who I am."

Mark laughed. "Well actually... I mean, Donghyuck mentions you from time to time, but I forget sometimes. I do know that you like chocolate mint ice cream. You like the city lights at night. And... that you like me." He smiled.

My eyes rolled upwards. "Liked, Mark Lee. Liked! It's past tense."

Mark smiled surreptitiously before setting the paper of practice questions again. He cupped his cheek and stared me deep in the eyes, as I felt my heart nearly pounding out of my chest. I didn't like how he was looking, but at the same time, I liked it. Mark cleared his throat. "So hey, now that we're officially warming up to each other, I think we could get used to this. You know? Let's be friends."

Friends?

Of course. Friends.

"Yeah... Friends." I smiled warmly and stuck my hand out.

When he reached out to grab it, he shook it carefully but suddenly, he shuddered. I noticed immediately the hair on his arm protruding upwards, as though a cold breeze just wafted towards his direction. Mark furrowed his eyebrows, his eyes dilating as he stared in the open air for some seconds.

"Mark?" I called out. "Mark are you good?"

When he pulled his hand away, he looked at our surroundings with a slight frenzy demeanor. "Yeah I'm just..." He mumbled before slowly standing up from his seat, and snatching his bag on the floor. "I'll be right back. Okay?" He smiled assuringly, and just like before during detention class, he surged out of the assembly hall.

What the hell?

"Where did he go?" Gwen asked from the stage, and all attention was on me. Everybody from the team turned to glance at me, awaiting for a response.

I paused, then shrugged my shoulders. "The toilet?"

It definitely wasn't the toilet. I was so sure of it. Although his sudden departures ticked me off, it made me suspicious the most.