22

𝟮𝟮: 𝗡𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗬 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗦𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗬

As soon as I was hauled into Mark's room, we heard Johnny asking if I still wanted my chamomile tea, but I couldn't even reply because the door had already shut close.

To be frank, I did expect Mark Lee to be the type to have a messy room. And my assumption was right. When I stood by the entry, my back nearly pressed against the door, Mark scuttled around his room and tossed a few shirts and undergarments inside his wardrobe. His room wasn't exactly dirty, it was just messy. There were a couple of comics splaying on the ground, as well as stationaries. His bed however, was neatly done.

"Really sorry. I just didn't expect you to be this early." Mark sheepishly apologized.

"It's fine. You don't have to be sorry." I assured with a warm smile.

Mark didn't see my grin though, as he was too busy gathering things from the floor, and stuffing them inside his closet.

In the meantime, I quietly strolled around his room for more observations. Plastered on the walls by his full-sized bed, were posters of his favorite basket ball, and American football players, alongside a few artists and bands and a small clock. And right next to it, was a window with white curtains. It was slightly creaked open which sent the breeze in. Then he had a basketball, and a skateboard lying on the floor too at the corner. Lastly, he had a study table. Of course that was also filled with belongings that scattered everywhere on the surface, including his camera and a few printed photographs.

Curious, I walked closer to the table and examined the pictures. I leaned down with squinted eyes to get a better view.

They were printed pictures of Gwen Stacy in the Nationals for the Academic Decathlon, during Junior year.

Mark used to photograph for the SoMe club, so that meant he had to participate in big school events such as this, to capture the memory and possibly frame them around the school. And it seemed like he was solely focused on taking pictures of one particular person. Gwen Stacy.

"So uhh, wanna study?" Mark suggested after throwing one last shirt in his closet, before shutting it and leaning his side against it with crossed arms and a sheepish smile. But he noticed where my attention was. "Ohh..."

I feigned a smile to conceal my jealousy. "You really are head over heels for Gwen Stacy." I tittered and grabbed one of the photograph, where Gwen was talking into the microphone with a confident smile.

"Those pictures were a long time ago." Commented Mark, his head shaking timidly. "Like really long time ago."

The envy in my face was so clear to see, therefore I didn't turn around and kept my back on him whilst pretending to look through the pictures. "How come you've never shot your shot, Mark?"

"How could I?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I think it's pretty obvious that Gwen Stacy don't favor kinds like me."

"What kind are you exactly?"

There was a small sigh from him, as though not wanting to elaborate further. "Practically a nobody. You know, it's never easy for nobodies like me to muster all the confidence and commit to popular people like Gwen Stacy. I'm even positive that she didn't even know my name. There's a barrier between me and her, therefore I can't. It's not because I am not able to do it, I just can't."

Baloney. There are people out there who are popular with wealthy backgrounds, that would do everything to commit to a nobody. People like me.

"It never hurts to try, Mark. Stop thinking so hard about everything, stop over analyzing. Just go. Just do. If it feels right, just go with the flow. If it feels wrong, don't think about it anymore and walk away."

There was a pause from Mark. I wanted to see him, but I was still faced away. Then, he finally spoke. "You're right. It wouldn't hurt trying."

Shit. Did I just convinced Mark Lee, to commit to Gwen Stacy?

"But Mark." I immediately turned around and looked him in the eyes, my brows slightly creasing. "It's also convenient to seek for the ones who will accept you, even if you were a nobody. The ones who would look you in the eyes and think nothing but the desire of you."

Mark flashed frail smile. "Yeah, but those people are so hard to find nowadays."

Open your eyes Mark. You idiot Mark. You absolute idiot. There's one standing right in front of you now.

Ding.

The conversation was stopped when both our phones buzzed to suggest a new message. We both exchanged looks, before pulling our phones out to check out what it was. It was a message from Donghyuck. "Hey! There's an advanced celebration party at Zhong Chenle's mansion today. You guys have to come, it starts in an hour!"

I cocked an eyebrow, clearly perplexed.

Mark did the same. "Celebration party? What exactly is there to celebrate?" He inquired.

I chuckled. "The Victory of The Flashes."

Mark smiled. "You wanna go?"

I looked at him with reluctance. "And just neglect our studies for the nationals?"

He shrugged his shoulders, the smile on his lips never left. "Come on~ I've always wanted to see Chenle's mansion."

I heaved, hefty and disappointed. I was disappointed because we were yet again not taking responsibilities, but I was also disappointed because I did want to visit Chenle's mansion, I heard it was a life experience. "You know what? Why not?"

NOTES: Istg I hate these adds when I read books. They pop every single time after every single chapter. That's too much isn't it? Like wtf dude.

Also I know this is kinda slow with lots of boring filler chapters, but yeah sry abt that :')