41

𝟰𝟭: 𝗔𝗧 𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗧 𝗪𝗘 𝗪𝗢𝗡
𝙈𝘼𝙍𝙆 𝙇𝙀𝙀'𝙎 𝙋𝙊𝙑

The entire bus ride back to Queens after winning the Academic Decathlon was filled with a mixture of emotions. We were elated to have achieved victory and to have brought pride and glory to Midtown High, but at the same time, there was also some uncertainty and dread after the museum incident. We didn't know if we should celebrate about winning and surviving that incident, especially when Gwen was perched with a cast on her arm, though Gwen herself tried uplifting the mood in the bus, and soon we were having a merry moment filled with smiles, laughter and relief.

Of course most people in here were still upset about my absence during the competition, but they soon shrugged it off. Not Coach Harrington though, I knew he was furious but tried hiding it.

As for Juliane, we sat separately this time. She was the one to decide on that, as she avoided sitting when she saw me take the seats behind Naomi and Donghyuck.

I was sure she did find to give me space after bombarding me with her assumptions last night. I knew she was also somewhat a bit awkward and embarrassed because I made sure that she wasn't gonna leave the rooftop, doubting my denial.

I felt bad though. But it was for the better.

So during this entire ride, I kept my eyes on her pretty face, wondering all the possibilities that could've possibly happened if my confession wasn't interrupted.

The bus finally pulled up at the entrance of Midtown High at 11 am, and the first thing we noticed seeing were the parents, standing anxiously with worried and distressed expressions plastered on their faces.

Soon, all students had rushed out to reunite with their family.

As I jumped off the bus, I stood by myself in front of the reunions of these families. I tucked my hands in my pockets and pursed my lips together, observing the scenery before me.

Naomi came running to her dad, the police whom stood out with that uniform he had on. Donghyuck on the other hand, was greeted by his brother Taeyong with a hug. And just beside them of course, Taeil was there to pull his beloved sister into a long and warm embrace.

I smiled.

I wished Aunt May and Uncle Ben were here.

"Mark Lee!" Taeyong's voice renters the air, grabbing my attention fully, especially with my name being called out. As Taeyong stood with his arm around his brother, he used the other to beckon me to come, and so I did. I calmly jogged myself to them, and before I could even speak to say something, I was immediately pulled into a hug by Taeyong too. "You okay?"

Sometimes, I genuinely forget about how strong and big my friendship was with Donghyuck, which also affected my relationship with his brother. He considered me as one too, ever since Freshman year.

"Yeah." I grinned weakly once the hug was broken. "Yeah I'm fine."

Taeil sent me a small worried smile, and I returned one too.

As Donghyuck, Taeyong and Taeil chatted about what happened during the entire trip, Juliane and I remained silent and tuned in. Though no entirely. We would catch ourselves stealing glances at each other, as though wanting to say something but didn't had the guts to, so we ended up just continuously getting those awkward gazes.

It felt odd to be like this with Juliane. I never knew we would be back to this: Awkward and hesitant.

The conversation was interjected when a new presence joined us. It was a man, a tall man with red hair, suited in expensive clothing and a pair of sunglasses that rested on top of his nose. And right beside him, was Gwen Stacy, with the cast around her right arm. The man smiled, and so did Gwen, when their presence were acknowledged.

"Oh!" Expressed Taeil, a bit surprised. "Mr Stacy. I didn't know you were here."

The tall man, whom I surmised was Gwen's father gave Taeil a small nod as a sign of greet. He placed a hand on her daughter's back. "Well, my daughter happen to be the Captain of the Decathlete team." He said. He looked at Juliane, then back at the older brother. "Where's your father? I was expecting him to be here."

"Out of the country sir." Taeil responded. "For business purposes, of course."

The man nodded his head in acknowledgement. "Hmm I see. Well, he is a very bus man after all." He mumbled. He then looked at Juliane with a small, concerned smile. "I just wanted to see ask if you're alright, dear."

Juliane nodded her head. "I'm fine Mr Stacy. Thanks for asking~"

It seemed like the Moons were acquainted with the Stacys, probably through their rich background. You know, rich things? Or like, rich people knowing other rich people.

With that, they continued conversing, and Gwen looked over at me, but I tried avoiding any eye contact. Something about looking at her with that cast on her arm, made me feel extremely guilty.

"You're lucky, Mark Lee." Gwen said, solely to me.

Now that she was talking to me, I knew I had no other choices but to look at her and respond. "Huh?" I said, smiling at her innocently.

She chuckled. "Lucky that you got sick and ditched on us." She explained, then looked at Coach Harrington who had been glowering at us, well specifically me. "You should stop getting in trouble. Really." The emphasis in that last word she uttered made me feel somewhat uneasy. But I tried letting it slide and just nodded my head with a grin.

"Anyways, tell your father I said hi to him." Mr Stacy said, and soon, he had swiveled around to trail off along with his daughter. Meanwhile, Taeil and Juliane nodded politely, waving their hands at them.

Curious, I looked at Taeil and Juliane. "I didn't know you guys were friends with the Stacys."

Juliane shook her head . "Not really. I mean, it's only my father and Mr Stacy who are acquainted and that's about it."

Donghyuck chortled. "Yeah~ The rich gotta unify." He said, and surprisingly enough, everybody found it funny and cracked a laugh too.

Ding!

Simultaneously, I, Donghyuck, Juliane and Naomi received a new message, suggesting that it was presumably from the same sender with the same text. Curious, we exchanged glances first before pulling out or phones to check.

It was a text from Chenle: "Just today, The Flashes attained victory, and so did the Academic Decathlon Team! Because of this, I am throwing another party at my place! Everybody is invited! Please ALL Flashes attend and ALL Decathletes attend! This is our time to celebrate our hard work! See you at 8 pm!"

All together, we rose our heads up and connected gazes with each and every Decathlete around the proximity as it appeared that everyone for the same exact message.

Donghyuck smiled slightly. "I mean, why not also celebrate surviving the museum incident?"