28. {Flight...or flight}

Julia's POV

It's been a few hours. A few sad and very painful hours. Drea and I are having to share a bunker with August, Willow, Laura and Antoinette. We only had two beds in ours. One queen and the other one a double. I didn't like the thought of sharing with Antoinette. Getting that intimate with her was something I wasn't ready for and I know my wife wouldn't push me about it.

Therefore, Laura and Antoinette shared while Alex slept with them(mostly Laura). August and Willow shared with us. Something neither of us was foreign to having shared a bed the night before Thanksgiving and the night before that, too. It was the decision I was most comfortable with, sleeping with my women.

For the time being, we were all just chilling in our bunkers while the LaRues focused on getting Emilie back. Everyone was distraught at her collapse and we still didn't know yet why that happened or if she was dead. On top of that, they lost so many other people. It was just a lot.

I sighed and hugged my pillow tighter, my back against August's. Although we were beneath a thick blanket, she was still unbelievably cold but not at all uncomfortable. Willow's or Drea's warmth would have made up for it. Drea's soft body would've almost been enough to make me forget all my worries.

But she still wasn't back yet.

It's been hours, maybe even past midnight, but there's no way to know for sure since we left all our belongings back at the mansion including our phones. A gentle tug in my hair and then continuous shifting made me glance over my shoulder in the dark. "I hope you two aren't fooling around next to me?" I grumbled.

"No, just changing positions," Willow answered. "I don't have it in me to do something like that in a time like this."

I couldn't either. Not when so many of our friends have lost parents and siblings. The sight of Isabelle's husband being impaled was still fresh in my head, replaying behind my eyes. Alex was too young to know what was happening but Wren and Irelee were asking questions.

While I didn't see the death of the others, I knew when they didn't come back with the group. For one, Emilie nor Drea would've never left anyone behind. They were dead and wouldn't be coming back. They were dead.

Willow shifted again before settling down, her hand barely resting against my waist. I flipped around to face her, meeting her brown eyes in the dimly lit bunker, seeking some comfort. August was spooning her, eyes closed and an arm draped around Willow's waist. Willow stared innocently at me, though, her eyes making my stomach flutter even in a moment like this. But, it was just what I needed to ground me.

She moved her legs again, throwing one of them over my hip as her hand found my face to caress my cheek. I scoffed at her. "You are too busy body, you need to calm down."

"She doesn't want anything to reach up and snatch her off the edge," August revealed. "So she's offering me up instead."

I snickered halfheartedly and grabbed my pillow to hug again, putting it between Willow and me. "That is not going to work," she scolded. "Move it."

I pouted. "No. I need something to cuddle."

"Dumbass," She rolled her eyes at me, grabbed the pillow and threw it back into the corner. Then, she pulled me closer by the arm, her eyes never leaving mine. I didn't complain. She was warm and comfortable and I love her. I wrapped my arms around her body too, and listened to the sound of her heartbeat. It was drumming to the same beat as mine.

"Do you think we'll be okay?" She asked after a moment, her voice reverberating in her chest.

"I hope so," August told her truthfully because that was all we could do at the moment. Hope.