chapter 1; prologue

note: this book picks up at the end of season one, during the female titan arc

____________

IT WAS THE YEAR 850, Eren Jaeger had just discovered his titan shifting abilities, and plugged the hole in Wall Rose during the Battle of Trost. Due to this unforeseen ability, he is placed into the hands of the Survey Corps for testing and experiments. Soon after, his friends from the 104th cadet corps follow him into the scout regiment.

A string of hope and wonder has begun to infiltrate humanity, as the Scouts continue to gain strength and new information. Regardless of the alliance Eren provides for humanity, there are still those who are scared of Eren and wish him dead. With tensions rising and expectations piling, the scouts scramble to find more ways to help humanity.

At the same time, expeditions into titan territory have continued. However, alarming discoveries of severed titan bodies out in the wild begin to flood in. Soldiers report seeing remnants of what appears to be freshly killed titans in places that no soldier has yet explored. Some even claimed to encounter a hooded figure, leaving the scene as they arrived.

Word begins to spread of a mysterious lone soldier, fighting for humanity out on the front lines. Some even claim that it is someone from the famous Abertine clan, a fictional folktale about a family of warriors that live far outside Wall Maria. Word of this name gets around to Erwin, and on a whim, he begins a discreet investigation into the Abertine myth.

Convinced that this name could lead to a discovery that will change humanity's fate, He orders Hange to sneak into the royal library, in search of information. Their findings were revolutionary.

_____________

You wiped the sweat from your brow as the body of a four meter titan slammed into the ground. You had left your small camp up in the trees to hunt for food, and ran into one of the bastards. Just my luck, you thought. The blood on your stolen ODM gear fizzled away as you walked away from the steaming titan. You returned to your refuge, managing to only capture a tiny rabbit for dinner.

You frowned at the sad piece of meat, while you cooked it over a small fire. The sun had just dipped below the horizon, allowing you to relax slightly. Titans would not be a problem while it was nighttime. While the rabbit cooked, you glanced over to your stockpile of ODM swords and half empty gas canisters.

Ever since you started on your mission to find the Commander of the Scouts a few years ago, you've been living off of dead soldiers' gear. After expeditions, the ground would be littered with them. Your luckiest find was the scout uniform you currently wore that you found on a girl your size. Her name was Caroline Langley. Thanks to her, you were allowed to blend in and slip through scouting expeditions to gather information on them without raising an alarm.

It was a sad way to live, but it helped you survive. You kept the names and badges of every soldier you encountered and buried them when you could. It was your way of paying respect. You hoped one day you could return the patches to their families.

You removed the rabbit from the fire, prodding at the few bits of meat you could find. It was a miracle you had even found meat, as you had been living off of a small box of veggies you found in an abandoned Scout wagon. All things considered, though, you adjusted to living in titan territory well. You are an Abertine, after all. Sworn to protect humanity on the front lines in no man's land, just to be forgotten and taken for granted. It was a curse, if you had anything to say about it.

With the titans sleeping, and the night only getting darker, you leaned back against the thick tree you were resting on while you reflected.

Your family had almost no contact with civilization in the walls. That was until a stranger showed up at your house. He claimed to be travelers on a trip outside the walls that had gone bad and needed shelter. He said his name was Zeke. Looking back on it now, that's really all he said about himself.

Your parents, Henry and Grace Abertine, were too kind for their own good and welcomed him to stay with you and your older brother Oliver. Could you blame them though? Your mother never said it, but she was homesick, and the opportunity to talk to anyone from civilization filled her with excitement. You didn't mind the traveler all that much, he made your family happy.

Your mother had left Shiganshina with your father when they were only 20 years old. He had disguised himself in order to return to the walls and find a wife, as your family always had. It was the only time you were able to return; to find a spouse to carry on the name. It was too dangerous to live there with the King's bounty still on your heads, and your family had an oath to uphold that was instilled in you from a young age.

The man had stayed with your family for a while. Zeke wasn't much of a problem for the most part, a little to charismatic for your taste, but nothing you couldn't handle. You often found his presence interesting, and loved hearing the stories of his travels.

That was until he discovered Oliver was the Protector Titan.