chapter 35; a fools dream

note: second half of chapter is really just a recap of what happens in the anime, for those readers who need a refresher

__________

Levi sat on the edge of a wagon, cradling a cup of tea in his calloused hands as he watched the Scouts pack up their supplies. They had set out from Trost on their expedition to reclaim Wall Maria that morning, earning a heartfelt farewell from the citizens. Little rest was taken, if any, but Erwin allowed them to pause for a quick dinner, before continuing on into the night. With any luck, they would make it to Shiganshina by morning.

Levi couldn't help but notice the unease that lingered in the air, a palpable tension that seemed to infiltrate the camp. The Scouts were nowhere near as formidable as they once were, their ranks depleted and their morale shaken.

He could see it in the faces of the new recruits—the fear, the uncertainty that lingered behind their determined facades. They were untested, inexperienced, and ill-prepared for the trials that awaited them in Shiganshina.

Levi silently scoffed, his grip tightened around the cup in his hands. What was Erwin thinking? They were nowhere near ready for such a mission. Levi knew the odds were stacked against them, that they were marching toward almost certain death. Most of these kids would be dead by tomorrow night.

Levi's gaze remained fixed on the swirling depths of his tea, lost in a sea of tumultuous thoughts. You crossed his mind, as you often did in moments of quiet reflection. It had been a while since he'd seen you, and the ache of your absence weighed heavily on his heart.

The sound of Erwin's voice cut through the silence, pulling Levi from his reverie. He stood beside Levi, his arm hanging by his side while his other sleeve blew gently in the warm evening wind. "Adeline again?" Erwin's question hung in the air, a gentle reminder of the woman who had captured Levi's thoughts and refused to let go.

Levi offered no response, but the truth lingered unspoken between them. Erwin understood all too well the hold you had over Levi's heart, the longing that tugged at the edges of his soul.

"Keep her from your mind, Levi," Erwin urged, his tone tinged with a hint of concern. "We have a mission to focus on, and distractions will only hinder our progress."

Erwin's words were a stark reminder of the reality they faced. Levi knew he should heed his commander's advice, to leave you in the past where you belonged.

But bitterness welled within him, a bitter resentment born from the memory of your departure. You hadn't even said goodbye, hadn't offered him so much as a farewell. In fact, you had stopped writing to him altogether. You had simply vanished, leaving Levi to wrestle with the ghosts of what could have been. It hardened Levi further, forcing him to grow cold again. He couldn't forgive himself for getting swept away in your encouraging words.

Though Erwin's words rang true, Levi couldn't shake the sense of betrayal that lingered in the depths of his soul. For now, he would bury his feelings deep within, focusing on the task at hand. But the gaping hole of your absence remained, a constant reminder of the void you had left behind. Deep down, he silently hoped that you would come back to him.

Erwin's gaze lingered on Levi for a moment longer, a silent exchange that Levi chose to ignore before he turned his attention back to the assembled Scouts. With a decisive nod, Erwin announced to the group that it was time to move out.

"We'll be traveling through the forest on foot," Erwin declared, his voice carrying a steely resolve. "The cover of night provided by the new moon should give us an advantage. Stay alert, and be prepared for anything."

Levi kept his expression unreadable as he emptied the remnants of his tea onto the ground. He made himself ready, adjusting his gear and ensuring that his blades were sharp and his gas tanks full.

His mind lingered on you for a fleeting moment, a pang of longing piercing through the armor of his resolve. But with a firm shake of his head, he pushed the thoughts aside, banishing you to the recesses of his mind.

There was no room for distractions, no time to dwell on it. The mission demanded his full attention, and Levi was determined to see it through to the end.

__________________

The arrival at Shiganshina was shrouded in an eerie silence, the early morning darkness casting long shadows over the devastated landscape. As they rode through the desolate streets, the remnants of destroyed houses loomed like silent sentinels, bearing witness to the horrors that had unfolded within their walls.

A palpable sense of unease settled over the Scouts, the air heavy with the weight of history and the lingering presence of those who had perished in the city's downfall. It was as if the ghosts of the past whispered through the empty streets, their silent lament echoing in the stillness of the dawn.

Splitting into their respective sections, the Scouts moved with practiced efficiency, their movements swift and precise as they set about their task. Plugging the outer wall was achieved with unexpected ease, but the absence of their enemy only served to heighten their sense of foreboding.

They knew they were walking into a trap, the tension thick in the air as they braced themselves for the inevitable confrontation. But frustration gnawed at their resolve as their enemy remained elusive, their faces veiled in shadow as they bided their time.

Then, in a sudden and violent eruption of chaos, their worst fears were realized. Reiner, the Beast Titan, and Bertholdt revealed themselves in a coordinated assault that left the Scouts reeling. Reiner's transformation within the city sent shockwaves through their ranks, while the Beast Titan's emergence on the other side of the wall sealed their fate.

Trapped between the two formidable adversaries, with a line of Pure Titans forming a menacing half-circle around the city's gate, the Scouts found themselves facing an impossible situation. Escape was no longer an option as they stood on the precipice of a battle that would test their strength, their courage, and their very will to survive.

The battlefield erupted into chaos, a symphony of screams and cries echoing through the air as the Beast Titan unleashed its fury upon the unsuspecting Scouts. Levi watched in horror as the downpour of crushed boulders rained down upon them, decimating their ranks, slaughtering their horses, and shattering any hope of escape.

The once orderly formations dissolved into disarray as panic swept through their ranks, desperation fueling futile attempts at resistance. While Eren and the others dealt with Reiner, Levi was ordered to stay behind, much to his dismay.

The battle raged on, but it grew increasingly clear that they were not going to win this. Scout after Scout met their grisly end, either by the mouth of a titan or by the spray of boulders ripping them to shreds.

Erwin, faced with the grim reality of their situation, made a decision born of desperation. With no other choice left to him, he resolved to lead his men in a death charge—a final, desperate bid to go down fighting, to let their names be remembered as heroes rather than cowards.

But amidst the chaos and despair, Levi remained resolute. Tasked with taking down the Beast Titan, he steeled himself for the challenge. He watched as Erwin and the remaining Scouts charged forward, providing a fleeting distraction that would allow him to make his move.

As the charge advanced towards the enemy, Levi sprang into action, his movements a blur of precision and skill as he carved through the ranks of Pure Titans with ruthless efficiency. Each strike brought him closer to his target, his focus unwavering.