chapter 6; insomiac

You and the Scout's pulled under Wall Sina's looming gates into the eastern city of Stohess

You and the Scout's pulled under Wall Sina's looming gates into the eastern city of Stohess. Crowds began to grow, watching as the remaining troops of the regiment made their way through the streets. Hushed whispers and grim looks were all you were greeted with when you looked into the faces of the people.

Some heckled and raised their fists as they realized how horribly the expedition had failed. You frowned at the depressing scene. Soldiers hung their heads low, some carrying their wounded comrades, others wiping tears in memory of their lost friends.

The wails of mothers realizing they've lost their baby made you sick. You wanted to be out of there, right now. You couldn't bear to hear anymore. Your captors shared similar heart crumbling expressions. All you could do to block the pain out was dig your nails into your legs as you sunk into the seat of the wagon, hoping to disappear. Such despair was not what you were hoping for on your first trip into civilization.

You blocked out the world so well that it wasn't before long that you found yourself in front of a white marbled courtyard, surrounded by tall stone buildings. The Scouts had begun to tie their horses to posts for the night.

"Oi, we're here." Levi said, pulling you out of your misery.

"Oh," you said, still dazed. You looked around, soaking in your surroundings. Levi didn't rush you, giving you a silent moment to adjust. "I assume it's off to the cellar with me until Erwin is ready to talk?" You sighed, not looking forward to sleeping on a stone floor.

"Actually, no." Levi watched as some soldiers hurried by. "There's an empty bedroom that you will stay in. Like Erwin said, we're not trying to parade you as a prisoner."

You cocked your head to the side with surprise. Levi only shrugged and he held out his hand to help you off the cart, "C'mon."

You hesitated before interlocking your hand with his. You could feel the calluses on his palm as you stepped down. The muscles in his shoulders flexed while he supported your weight. You wondered why he was being kind to you. It seemed like the polar opposite attitude from earlier.

He let go of your hand as you landed on the cobblestone. The chilly nighttime air caressed your face in the form of a small breeze. You followed in silence as he led you through the front entrance. A large chandelier hung in a decent sized entryway. The dim light from the candles lit up the room enough to see a deep red carpet lead up a small, but grand, marble staircase. On the wall behind the stairs hung a large banner with a green horse emblem.

"The Military Police headquarters." Levi informed you, sensing your surprise at the elegance. "It seems they spared no expense when it comes to interior decorating."

"No kidding..." you muttered.

You two walked up the staircase, your boots clicking on the stone. He took you left down the hallway a ways until he opened up a door for you. You peeked around the corner, sizing up the room as you walked in.