chapter 38; the basement

Perched atop the walls, you sat beside Armin and Sasha, both still unconscious from the events that had transpired

Perched atop the walls, you sat beside Armin and Sasha, both still unconscious from the events that had transpired. With your arms wrapped tightly around your knees, you gazed out into the distance, the cool breeze ruffling your hair as it whispered through the air.

Below, the city of Shiganshina lay in ruins, the aftermath of the battle still fresh in the air, adding new destruction on top of what was already previously destroyed. Your friends were down there, scouring the streets to ensure that none of Zeke's allies remained hidden in the shadows. But you had chosen to remain behind, keeping a vigilant watch over the silent city and your friends.

The encounter with Zeke had left you shaken to the core, the memories of past traumas resurfacing with a violent intensity. It would take time to process the whirlwind of emotions that consumed you, but for now, a deep frown marred your features as you stared out at the desolate landscape in thought.

The ground below was stained with the blood of fallen comrades, the sickening scent of death hanging heavy in the air. It was a stark reminder of the brutal reality of war, a reality that you had come face to face with once again.

After you and Levi entered Shiganshina, you regrouped with what remained of your friends. It became a gruesome sight–Armin's charred body lay on the verge of death, having sacrificed himself to capture the Colossal Titan, and Erwin's mangled body lay in pitiful pools of blood while everyone fought over who would get the titan serum and eat the Colossal's shifter, Bertholdt.

You cursed fate for being so cruel. Why should anyone have to decide who gets to live and who dies? It's not right. And you could see on Levi's face that he felt the same. You saw how much it shattered him to leave behind the one who's led him this far, or the kid who could take them even further.

Deep down, you wished Erwin had lived just a little longer so you could get closure on all the sacrifices he had you make. You knew he only did what he had to do to lead the Scouts, but you wished he could taste this hell just a little longer.

And maybe that's why it's for the best that Levi picked Armin to become the next Colossal. Despite your own selfish grudge, you knew it was Erwin's time to rest.

The blonde stirred beside you, shaking you from your thoughts. Armin coughed as he sat up, seemingly sore from his transformation from titan back to human. As his eyes adjusted to the light, he looked at you with wide eyes of recognition.

"Adeline..." He said in surprise, "What are you doing here?"

You offered a small shrug, "Long story, kid." You replied, you tone guarded and tired.

Despite your efforts to be friendly, a lingering sense of resentment stirred within you at the decision to leave you out of the mission. Did they all doubt your abilities, or was it simply Erwin's decision to leave you out of the loop? The questions loomed large in your mind, casting a shadow over your interactions with your friends.