chapter 4; the last of a dying bloodline

You soared through the trees, expertly dodging the branches that flew your way

You soared through the trees, expertly dodging the branches that flew your way. You can't believe you had almost gotten caught by that short runt on his horse. Not when you're so close to fulfilling your mission.

It was that damned Female Titan. You got too curious and almost risked your mission to catch a glimpse of that beast.

Be more careful next time, Adeline, you silently scolded yourself.

You pulled your hood closer over your head, tucking behind the strands of hair that had come loose. Right now you need to restock your supplies. You scanned the ground for any dead Scouts that no longer needed their equipment. Luckily for you, but unfortunately for them, there were many.

You slid to the forest floor, making sure to scan your surroundings before you ran out onto the path. You dragged the mangled body of a young scout soldier behind a bush and began removing him of his gear. You stocked your blades and replenished your gas with what was left of his.

Before you stood up, you looked at the boy one last time. He seemed so young, it could very well have been his first mission. You paid your respects, and ripped the Scout emblem off his shoulder as well as his name tag. Elijah Princeton. You frowned as you put the patch in your pocket.

After burying Elijah, your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of flares being set off. You looked into the sky. Blue flares. They must be retreating. You had to get back on the move.

You checked your gear one last time, clinking your cans to make sure they were tightened before you covered your head and set off again.

You heard the sound of hoofbeats from afar and concluded they had moved onto horseback. Shit, I'll lose them once they leave the forest unless I find a horse. Getting gear off of dead bodies was easy enough. You almost always had your pick due to the sheer amount of lives the Survey Corp seemed to sacrifice. Horses, however, were a whole different situation. You managed to snag one hours ago when the right flank of their formation was wiped out, but you stupidly let it go when you got to the forest. They're moving targets, and most of the time run in the opposite direction of the action out of fear. You can never manage to find one when you need one. However, you had no choice but to look.

It wasn't soon before you came across more dead soldiers. Their faces looked familiar, but you couldn't quite place it as their bodies were either half gone or covered in blood. They must have been in the runt's group from earlier. The sight was gruesome, even you started to feel a little queasy. They were on horses, though, so there has to be some nearby.

Pounding footsteps were heard in the distance, similar to those of the Female Titan. Not wanting to get caught up in that mess, you turned the other way, towards where the Survey Corp was retreating.

The wind whipping by you set your mind at unease, as you were unable to really hear the forest around you anymore. Not to mention, your mind was too focused on finding a horse, you almost didn't hear the sound of ODM gear flying in your direction. If you had noticed even a second later, you would have flown directly into the path of two Scout soldiers.