chapter 9; an offer you can't refuse

You were summoned to a room in the military building you were currently at

You were summoned to a room in the military building you were currently at. You had stayed in Stohess with the head of command while Eren rested up.

It had been a good week or so since the city was nearly raised to the ground. You took to mindlessly roaming the halls of the barracks and the city streets as everyone else followed orders from higher-ups.

It was a miracle when Hange had approached you yesterday in the mess hall, requesting you to meet in Erwin's temporary office today after lunch.

You wrapped your fingers around the brass doorknob and entered the room. Hange, Levi, and Erwin were sitting around a square wooden table, having a hushed conversation that ended as you walked in.

"Sit." Erwin said, motioning to the chair across from him. There was a fresh cup of tea in front of your seat, to which you assumed you had Levi to thank.

You dusted off yourself as you sat down, "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me. I never really got the chance to apologize for our first encounter." You said shyly to which he just shook his head.

"No worries." He offered a small smile.

"Now," Hange spoke up, leaning into the table with hands grasped. "I believe you have valuable insight that can help us take a step forward for humanity. If you prove to be useful, then we promise any questions you have will be answered." She offered you a smile.

Levi stayed silent as he watched you.

"I have nothing to hide. Ask away." You said.

"Wonderful. Our first question for you. Did you know about the titans in the walls." Hange said.

You felt everyone's eyes on you, and it made you slightly nervous. "No," you said truthfully, "I did not know about that."

"Hmm," Erwin hummed. "What do you know about the titans then?"

You frowned, "Not much, unfortunately."

Levi casually sipped his tea as he butted in, "You grew up in a bloodline of titans. I'm sure your family had secrets to pass down. Think long and hard about anything that could be useful."

"I mean it, I swear." You said urgently, hoping they'd believe you. "You're right, my family did have secrets. Specifically, it was my grandfather who knew the most about anything. But he was a secretive man. He refused to talk about the past, and he wouldn't say why."

"Did he have the Protector Titan?" Erwin questioned.

"Yes. He carried it for a while before he got sick and died. It was passed down to my brother after him. My father chose not to participate." You responded, "I don't know much about the technicalities of it all. They said I was too young to know about the truth and they'd tell me when I was older." You trailed off, knowing that will never happen now.