chapter 7; where does your allegiance lie

As requested, you were up and dressed by 7:30 in the morning, ready by 8:00

As requested, you were up and dressed by 7:30 in the morning, ready by 8:00. The morning light had just begun to shine through the window as you smoothed over the crisp white shirt. You were granted a new harness as well, however they failed to provide ODM gear. And after they confiscated your old pair yesterday, you assumed there was a good reason for that.

You tied your hair up to keep it out of the way. After checking in the mirror one last time, you headed for the courtyard.

Jean, Levi, and Erwin were already there, standing in front of a red and gold carriage. When you exited the building, their conversation stopped as they greeted you.

You shared a small good morning, smiling slightly at Levi.

"Adeline, or... Caroline, I guess we should start addressing you as." Erwin began, "I don't think you've been fully introduced yet. This is Jean Kirstein. He joined us recently with the rest of the 104th cadets."

You nodded towards him, and he offered one back, watching you carefully.

"He will be taking Eren's place for now while Eren, Armin, and Mikasa go find our target. We are on our way to meet with the Commander of the Military Police, where we will hand over Jean here."

You noticed none of them were wearing ODM gear and you cocked your head in confusion, "That's your plan? No offense, but Jean barely passes as Eren. They'll realize you tricked them the second he steps out of the carriage. With all due respect, to go into this unarmed is absurd."

"Finally, someone agrees. I don't look a thing like that idiot." Jean muttered under his breath, scratching at the brown wig he wore.

"Trust the plan. There should be no need for violence." Erwin said over his shoulder as he stepped into the carriage.

Jean followed and you turned to Levi with an expression of 'Is this guy serious?' He only shook his head, urging you not to challenge it as you climbed in. The horses pulled out of the courtyard and you stared out the window.

After driving in silence for a while, you neared a blockade of Military Police. A man, who you assumed was Nile, stood in front of a line of 15 soldiers, armed with intricate rifles.

"Just keep your head down, Jean." Levi ordered, as the carriage came to a halt

A gray haired MP opened the doors. "Eren Yeager? You're coming with us." She said, as Jean stood up to leave with her. They led him to a carriage on the opposite side of the street.

Erwin and Levi stepped out after Jean was put away, and you followed in silence.

"Erwin Smith." Nile spoke, hands crossed in front of him. "So you've decided to finally cooperate, huh?"

Erwin said nothing as you three continued to approach. Nile then turned his attention to you. "New soldier? I've never seen you before, what's your name?"