chapter 18; trust me

You and Squad Levi made their way through the markets of Trost

You and Squad Levi made their way through the markets of Trost. The city's streets were bustling more than usual, due to the anniversary of the King's coronation. Extra rations were being given out to the people, which caused the city to come out in celebration. Food stalls and merchants littered the sidewalks. The smells of all different kinds of dishes made your stomach growl.

However, there was no time to stop and join the festivities. Your cover as Caroline Langley had been blown, and there were currently multiple people who wanted your head on a silver platter. You don't know how it got leaked, but because of it, Commander Erwin had been taken into custody and you felt personally responsible.

You tightened your grip on the straps of your pack in guilt as you trailed near the back of the group. Connie must have noticed your strange behavior because he slowed down his pace to walk beside you.

"I know you probably think Erwin's arrest is your fault, but it's not. None of this is your fault. The Military Police were going to arrest him one way or another." He said, nudging you. "If it wasn't for helping to hide you, then it would have been for something else."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." You said, only partially believing him.

"Oi," Levi said, as the two of you looked up. He had stopped in his tracks to address you, "Keep up, our enemy could be anywhere. Adeline, you of all people should be on your guard. They may want Eren and Historia alive, but they want you dead. Don't think that they'll show mercy." He reminded you, but his words weren't as cold as they had been the past month. Maybe your talk with him yesterday worked a little bit.

But he was right. Right now, Jean and Armin were disguised as Eren and Historia. It was all a part of Levi's plan to draw out the enemy's hand. You were expecting an ambush at any moment, so now was not the time to be lost in your feelings.

"Yes sir." You responded as he turned to keep on walking

But before you could make it very far, you heard the sound of carriage wheels racing at you. You whirled around to see two men on a wooden wagon heading straight for you. Shit. "Look out!" You yelled as you jumped out of the way, tackling Connie with you.

The men on the carriage grabbed Armin and Jean in their disguises and rode off. Little did they know, everything was going according to plan.

"Follow them." Levi ordered as he switched to his ODM gear.

The wagon led you to a small warehouse on the outskirts of the city. Mikasa had gone ahead to scout out the situation while you stayed on the rooftop with Levi. The two of you sat in silence, neither of you wanting to address the elephant in the room.

Luckily, Mikasa saved you from the awkward tension when she landed back on the roof with her report.

"Everything is going smoothly but if we don't act soon, they'll see through Armin's disguise." She said quietly. "He's... being pawed at." She finished