chapter 23; orvud

Time moved quickly in the days following the coup d'etat

Time moved quickly in the days following the coup d'etat. Hange had discovered the existence of the Reiss Chapel in the northern part of Wall Rose. It was there that the Scouts speculated Eren and Historia were being held. Levi and his squad moved swiftly to occupy the territory. However, this was no easy feat.

When they arrived, they were met with a barrage of Military Police, including Kenny Ackerman. The battle proved to be hard, and time was of the essence as the plan to feed Eren to Historia was uncovered.

After a long and arduous fight, Levi's squad managed to make it in time to save Eren and Historia from the wrath of Rod Reiss. However, in the process, Rod had lapped up some remaining titan serum and transformed into a sixty meter titan. The Scouts managed to make it out of the Reiss Chapel's underground caverns alive, thanks to Eren's titan hardening abilities. But there was no time for celebration, because Rod's titan was already headed straight to the closest city; Orvud.

You, on the other hand, were already in Orvud, being held in a high profile Military Police prison, where you were scheduled to be executed early the next morning.

With Rod's titan on its way to the city, the Scouts needed all the help they could get. In an urgent meeting, Erwin, with the help of the MP's, formed a plan to save the city of Orvud from total destruction. However, in the shadows, the Scouts had another plan of their own. And with you next in line at death's row, they had to act fast.

You laid lifelessly on your shabby cot, the moon casting an eerie glow into your cell. Pieces of hay stuck out from your makeshift bed, causing you to hopelessly shift around in endless aggravation. You could do nothing but stare at the cobblestone ceiling, wallowing away in a deep state of depression.

This was it – your last night alive. You'd almost hoped you had just died by a titan during those years alone outside the walls. Even a painful, horrifying death would be better than this slow, agonizing one. And having to wait on the edge of it, completely helpless, was the worst part.

You fiddled with the necklace Levi gave you around your neck. There were so many things you still had left to do. So many words left unsaid. Countless questions you needed answers to. Was your brother alive? What was there beyond this small, cramped part of the world? Now, none of these questions would ever be answered. You draped your forearm over your eyes, shielding your face from the cruel reality you were trapped in.

Tears began to stream down your face and you kicked the wall in frustration, letting out a cry of angered despair. Hatred ran through your veins. Hatred for a world that has done nothing but degrade you, when you and your family have given everything for them. And the worst part was they would never know.

This was the malediction of the Protector Titan. The curse that forced its bearer a life of giving and never receiving. An obligatory bond that demanded unyielding loyalty to an unforgiving, ungrateful, and treacherous world.