chapter 27; return to grace

You followed the soldier in silence through the twisting corridors of the palace halls

You followed the soldier in silence through the twisting corridors of the palace halls. Eventually, he leads you to a door with two guards on either side before he nods and takes his leave. You go into the office with a mix of curiosity and apprehension. Historia and Erwin are seated around her desk. They both seem to be in a fine mood, their expressions welcoming.

"Your Majesty," you acknowledge Historia with a respectful bow, and then turn to Erwin, offering him a polite greeting.

Historia smiles gently, her eyes filled with warmth. "Oh, there's no need to bow, Adeline, please. We're friends! I'm not even Queen yet. Please, have a seat," she invites, gesturing for you to join them at the table.

You take a seat, the air in the room tinged with a sense of anticipation. Despite the calm exterior of your friends, you can't help but wonder about the purpose of this unexpected meeting.

As you settle into the chair, Historia clears her throat, her gaze softening as she begins to address the confusion evident in your expression. "Adeline, I understand this may seem unexpected, but there's something I want to express to you," she starts, her tone gentle yet resolute.

Her gaze met yours with a mix of sincerity and understanding. "I want to commend you and your ancestors for the sacrifices and loyalty you've shown to humanity," she begins, her voice holding respect.

"As the Queen, I feel it necessary to acknowledge the hardships your family endured," Historia continues, her expression solemn. "The Abertines, once valiant warriors who fought alongside my ancestors, were unjustly persecuted and outcast by those within the walls. Nevertheless, your family continued to dedicate their lives to humanity's survival, despite such adversity, which speaks volumes of their unwavering commitment."

There's a pause as Historia's words sink in, the weight of history heavy in the air. "On behalf of my ancestors and humanity as a whole, I want to offer my deepest apologies for the actions of the past," she says, her tone sincere. "The mistreatment and outcasting of the Abertines were a grave injustice, and I am truly sorry for the pain and suffering your family endured."

You listen to Historia's words, feeling a mixture of emotions stirring within you. The bitterness of your family's exile and the sorrow of their struggles are still fresh in your mind, but there's also a glimmer of hope in Historia's acknowledgment and apology.

"Thank you, Historia," you reply, your voice tinged with emotion. "I appreciate your acknowledgement, and your apology means a lot. I'm honored to fight alongside you for humanity's sake."

Historia's words hang in the air, a moment of solemnity passing between you before she continues. "Furthermore, I have officially cleared the Abertine name of any crimes or wrongdoings falsely attributed to them by the government. Adeline, you are no longer considered a traitor, and you are free to live and roam within the walls without fear of persecution."