chapter 16; friends

note: hey guys, really short chapter today

note: hey guys, really short chapter today. i'm back at school now and i don't have a lot of time between work and classes so updates may come slower, just bear with me. i'm trying to keep it around one a week at least. 

i also wrote this at 1am last night so guys i'm sorry if it seems rushed, my life is kinda in a crisis rn and i'm trying to get past this part of the story b/c i have some good stuff planned for the upcoming chapters... so ( ̄▽ ̄*) 

______________

A couple more days had passed since you had woken up with enough strength to move around and converse with everyone. Your friends continued to come in every now and then to check in on you, which was more than welcomed. You felt as if you were finally gaining everyone's trust, which brought you a lot of comfort. Your days mostly consisted of physical therapy and rest, but you were improving with each passing day.

Before long, you had accompanied Levi and the rest of the recruits to a remote cabin in the hills of Wall Rose. There, you continued your recovery, as ordered by the Scout's physician who had overseen you in Trost. You tried to help Hange with her experiments on Eren as well as offering to take watch from the recruits on many occasions, but to your dismay, they all turned you down, claiming you should be focusing on resting, not working. You know they were only doing it out of concern, but you were going to go stir-crazy if you didn't get better soon.

So you did what you could, often meandering around the grounds, picking up the odd jobs that people would let you do. Levi was somewhat in the picture as well. You two hadn't spoke since your last conversation in Trost, which you felt ended on a pretty positive note. However, he hadn't made much of a move to talk to you recently, only saying small talk in passing. He seemed to be pretty busy with work and would leave for a few days at a time to report back to Erwin in Trost, so you tried not to bother him. But deep down, you were upset that he wasn't talking to you as much anymore.

Yesterday, Hange had tried yet another failed attempt to get Eren to use his hardening ability, which left a frustrating taste in everyone's mouth. You and the Scouts had been at this camp for a few weeks now, and it seemed like the experiments were getting nowhere. People began to worry that Eren wouldn't be able to plug the hole in Shiganshina, but you tried to keep a positive outlook on it.

Levi had left soon after the failed experiment to report back to Erwin as usual, and he didn't take a moment to say goodbye to you. You had a sinking feeling in your gut that he was avoiding you, but you didn't know why. You didn't think you'd said anything to him that was off putting. In fact, after your night on top of the walls together, you thought you two were even developing a little more than a friendship. But those hopes began to simmer away with each passing day.

You frowned as you washed a pile of potatoes from the boxes that Jean, Connie, and Sasha had hauled in from the recent delivery. You and Historia were on cooking duty tonight, and you both decided upon a quick stew. Ingredients were limited regardless, so you didn't have much of a choice. You ribs were still slightly sore from your injury, so you were moving carefully as you peeled off the potato skins.

Eren, Armin, and Connie were bickering at the table behind you over something you chose to drown out. Historia stood next to you, prepping other ingredients in silence.

"Something on your mind, Adeline?" The girl asked quietly, pulling you out of your thoughts.

"Hmm? Oh, no. Not really. I'm just tired I guess." You hummed, not wanting to admit Levi's coldness was frustrating you.

"Ahh, I understand." She hummed. The silence between the two of you continued for a little longer, filled by the voices of your friends.

"How is it now that you've officially come out as Historia Reiss?" You asked, trying to continue the small talk. You had gotten to know everyone pretty well over the time you've been in the Scouts, but Historia was one of the people you spoke to the least so you thought you'd try to get to know her better.

She shrugged, "I haven't thought about it really. I feel fine, for now." She paused as she washed some celery stalks and began chopping them, "But I miss Ymir."

"Oh?" You passed her a silent glance, letting her continue with what she wanted to say.

Her lips thinned into a line for a moment as she reminisced about her friend, "It just feels like everyone has grand goals that they're striving for. I mean, you're searching for your brother, and Eren's trying to plug Wall Maria. But now that Ymir is gone, I don't really know what I want."

"Ahh, I see." You offered, "You'll find a new purpose, I'm sure of it." You finished peeling the potatoes and started chopping them up into bite sized pieces. "I don't envy your position one bit, though."

She half heartedly laughed, "I'm sure yours isn't much better. Living under a fake name, especially when everyone is out to kill you? Yeah, that's no fun. I definitely don't miss that part." She said.

You laughed along with her, "I'm glad someone here knows my pain."

The two of you began the final preparations for the stew, which mainly consisted of adding all the chopped veggies to the broth and letting it come to a boil.

"But at least you have Levi," She said, nudging you.

You laughed bitterly this time, "Ha. Barely. He doesn't really talk to me anymore. Ever since I came back from the expedition, it seems like he's been ignoring me."

"Really?" Historia said in genuine shock. "He visited you everyday when you were in that coma. We actually started worrying for him. Hange said she's never seen him act so out of character before."

You raised your brows, "What? I didn't know that." You felt good knowing he was looking after you, but it just added to your confusion as to why he was ignoring you.

"Yeah," Historia continued "I think seeing you get all beaten up like that scared him. But you know he'd never admit that."

You hummed in agreement, thinking over what the blonde girl was telling you.

"Maybe try talking to him? What if he's just busy? Erwin has been ordering him around more than usual. It wouldn't be unheard of."

"I guess..." You muttered to yourself, setting down your knife and handing your prepped veggies to Historia. You crossed your arms and leaned your back against the counter. You quietly watched your friends sitting at the dining table as they continued their petty disagreement. You didn't know what it was all about but it sounded like they were teasing Eren for how Mikasa dotes on him all the time. Historia stirred the stew, adding a few spices here and there, as she let you contemplate in silence.

However only a few more moments had passed before the front door flew open, causing everyone to jolt up in alarm. In walked Levi and Hange, who seemed more distraught than usual.

"Pastor Nick died." She said.