chapter 14; dancing with death

tw: possible gruesome descriptions ahead, if you're sensitive to that sort of thing

________________________________

You and Levi had ended up speaking long into the night. The conversation just seemed to flow continuously and neither of you wanted to stop. You discussed your pasts, your wishes, fond memories, and more. Levi paid attention to every word, and it felt wonderful to have someone who wanted to listen.

After a few hours had passed, you grew tired and laid down on the wall, continuing to stargaze as the night began to fade into morning. Eventually, you had curled up beside Levi as sleep overcame you. He did not protest, and watched over you in silence, letting you get a good night's rest.

The sound of birds chirping in the town below had awoken you from your sleep. The early morning sun was just barely visible in the sky, which casted beautiful pink and orange rays over the still sleeping city. You yawned and stretched, remembering the events of last night.

Levi was still sitting beside you, but the Captain's eyes were closed and his breathing was slow. He had fallen asleep facing you, resting his head in his hand. That's gotta be uncomfortable, you cringed. But he seemed too content in his slumber for you to wake him up, and his body seemed to be blocking most of the breeze from reaching you.

You leaned back down, and shifted your body closer to him to bask in the warmth he provided. At some point in the night, Levi must have taken the jacket he gave you and draped it over you, because you were surprisingly warm against the colder winds that blew at you.

You began to close your eyes and drift off back into sleep for a little longer, until you heard the sound of footsteps drawing nearer. Immediately, you shot back up. Shit. I have to get ready for the expedition.

You peered over the ridge of the wall you were hiding behind to look at the commotion. A small group of about three or four Garrison soldiers were making their morning rounds, and were headed your way. You didn't think they'd seen you yet. But if you and Levi didn't move soon, it would be quite an awkward conversation to explain why you were sleeping next to the Captain.

"Levi." You whispered, nudging him, but you received no response. "Levi!" You urgently called a little louder this time and kicked his leg.

He jolted awake and shot you a quizzical glance. You sheepishly smiled, "Good morning, sleeping beauty, so nice of you to finally join us...um." You pointed towards the group making their way towards you. "But I think it's time to go."

His eyes widened slightly, realizing the situation. Without saying a word, he ducked and scooped you up again, pulling his jacket over your face so as not to be seen by the soldiers as he jumped off the wall.

You heard the soldiers shout after you, but Levi was quick to outmaneuver them and landed to the ground silently.

"That was close." You joked as he set you onto your feet.