chapter 39; in memoriam [END OF BOOK 1]

After the Scouts returned to Wall Sina, there was little time to celebrate due to the gravity of the death toll

After the Scouts returned to Wall Sina, there was little time to celebrate due to the gravity of the death toll. A solemn memorial was held to honor the lives lost in the expedition, which you and all important officials were required to attend.

At this memorial, the remaining scouts were awarded medals of honor by Queen Historia, but you were notably absent from the list of recipients due to your disregard for Historia's wishes and sudden leave from your duty as officer. However, your contributions to retaking Wall Maria were acknowledged, even if unofficially, so you faced no consequences for your outburst.

The memorial was bittersweet, and you kept to yourself for most of it, offering congratulations to your friends but otherwise remaining distant. Even Historia seemed saddened by your distance, likely still burdened by the secrets she had kept from you.

Levi, however, was the one that hurt the most. It seemed he avoided your eye contact at all costs, save for a few formal greetings. You still hadn't figured out what he meant when he said that you were the one who left without a goodbye. His confession lingered in your mind, but due to his closed off attitude, you weren't expecting an explanation or an apology anytime soon.

After the ceremony ended, you retreated to your room, the one place where you could find solace amidst the chaos of your thoughts. Hours passed in a daze as you grappled with conflicting emotions, feeling everything and yet nothing at all.

Your friends noticed your withdrawal and growing depression, but they felt helpless in how to support you. You were weary from the constant battle within yourself, longing for the peace that seemed elusive. All you truly wanted was to return home, to hide from the weight of the world pressing down on your shoulders.

A soft knock at the door pulled you from your thoughts, and you turned to see Hange entering the room. You offered her a small greeting from your perch on an armchair before returning your gaze to the window.

She approached you delicately, sitting quietly on the side of your bed, her presence a comforting weight beside you. Following your gaze out of the window, she spoke softly, breaking the heavy silence.

"How are you holding up?" Hange asked, her voice gentle and filled with concern.

You responded with a terse "I'm fine," not quite sure how to articulate the emotions inside you. But Hange saw through your facade, her expression shifting to one of sadness.

"That's not true, Adeline," she said gently, her voice tinged with sorrow. "You've barely spoken to us since we got back yesterday. What's bothering you? We used to be friends, remember? And I'd like to hope we still are. So tell me, please," she pleaded, her eyes searching yours for any sign of vulnerability.

You hesitated, then turned towards her, the words escaping you in a whisper. "Why? Why did you leave me?" you asked softly. "You, of all people, knew how lonely I was here. So why? You all could've died out there."