chapter 11; stone cold heart

note: you're gonna love the next two chapters hehehe

note: you're gonna love the next two chapters hehehe. chapter 12 will be posted tomorrow!!

_____________

You gritted your teeth as you tightened the last box of supplies to the back of a wagon. You were still seething from your interaction with Levi earlier.

"Let me help with that." A cheery voice said from behind.

You turned to face Hange who grabbed the rope from your hand. "Oh, thanks." You mumbled and stepped to the side to lean against the wagon.

"Something on your mind, Adeline?" The brunette questioned.

"Hmm?" You pulled yourself out of your thoughts and glanced her way. "Oh... no. Well, yes and no. I'm just frustrated that the shortie doesn't think I'm cut out to help. I mean, I get that I'm new here 'n all, but I'm not a rookie." You moped, crossing your arms.

That earned a good laugh from the Section Commander and a blush spread across your face. "Why are you laughing? I'm being serious." You pouted.

She gave a hard tug on the knot she tied and smiled, "I've never seen someone so eager to go fight titans. Besides that Eren kid, I guess. It's refreshing."

You looked back to the ground in silence, but Hange gave you a good hard slap on the back, causing you to fall forward slightly. "Aww, cheer up! At any rate, I'm pretty sure you're accompanying him back to Trost tomorrow with the rest of the soldiers here. Erwin is probably planning to bring back-up to us, so you'll get your chance to fight soon enough." She said, doing one last check on her ODM gear. "Besides, I'm sure Levi doesn't mind the one on one company."

The blush across your face worsened a little bit as you whipped your head to her, "And what is that supposed to mean?" You demanded.

She threw her hands up in innocence, "You think I haven't seen all the little glances you two have been sharing? Or how he 'oh-so-casually' helps you out of wagons and carriages? I know you haven't been here long so let me give you the rundown. Most people are lucky if they get a sentence out of the Captain. Hell, I've been friends with him for, oh I don't even know how long, and even our conversations are short or strictly about work. That's just who Levi is. He's closed off and quiet."

You began thinking back on all the small interactions you've had with the man over the last few weeks. She's right, you hadn't exactly seen him offer attention to anyone else, but you never really paid any mind to it until now.

"I heard he even offered you tea. Late at night, too. I can just picture it, the moonlight from the windows...sipping tea over candlelight..." She cooed teasingly. "How romantic."

"Oh cut it out, please. I barely know the man." You rolled your eyes. "He clearly dislikes my presence. I just ran into him by chance that night. I couldn't sleep." You rolled your eyes. "His attitude is always so short and cold, it gives me chills just talking to him. Hypothermia, even. Why else would he be punishing me by forcing me to stay here when he knows I can help." You said, kicking the rocks at your feet.

"Beats me, Adeline." Hange shrugged, heading for her horse, "But maybe, somehow, he's found someone his stone cold heart can actually worry about."

"Whatever..." You concluded, watching as the Scouts lined up to head out. "Just be safe, alright?" You called after her as she nodded your way with a confident smile before heading over to her squad.

You sighed in defeat as you watched the group of scouts leave the gates of the barracks. It was late at night now, and you formed a yawn as you turned around to head back into the building. It was almost dead silent. Most of the townsfolk had left by now, besides a remaining few who hadn't managed to do so yet. Any soldiers that had stayed behind were probably already in bed. Rather than be bored to death, you decided to cut your losses and get some shut-eye for your trip back to Trost tomorrow.

______________

You and Levi escorted Pastor Nick and the few remaining soldiers in Ehrmich back to the city of Trost. It was around midday when you arrived, and the city was bustling with people, as if no one had heard about Wall Rose being breached.

You slumped back in your seat as the heat from the sun beat down on you. It was a welcomed warmth that contrasted the chilly winds that were whipping throughout the city.

Levi and Pastor Nick were not much for talking, you had gathered as much when you tried to hold conversations on the ride in.

Levi kicked your heel, "Sit up, Langley." He said, using your fake name. You were surrounded by military police, so it was a smart idea to leave Abertine behind for the moment.

You groaned and rolled your eyes. "Why are we just sitting here? Can't we get up and move around?"

"No." Levi said bluntly, "I have to stay and watch our friend here, and you're still under my supervision. So you have to stay put. Once Erwin tells us his plans, then we'll figure it out."

You sighed and sat up, much to your dismay. You were longing for someone to put you out of your misery. It wasn't long before your prayers were answered by a commotion from behind you. A soldier came running around the corner, asking for Commander Pyxis, "The Advance Squad has returned from the walls!" They said breathlessly.

You shot up, and turned to listen to what the soldiers had to report. Erwin had arrived on the scene with Pyxis as the Advance Squad was granted water. "We searched the entire wall until we ran into Hannes Squad. There's... no hole, sir." A male soldier reported, chugging down water from the pouch he was given. "There's another situation, though, sir. We ended up running into Hange Squad as well, and two of the recruits from the 104th were titans!" A chain of gasps ensued throughout the crowd. "They were fighting both the Colossal and the Armored Titans, but by the time we had gotten there, it was too late. They kidnapped Eren."

So Hange's assumption about Reiner and Berthold must have been true. And if that's the case, they must be in a whole lot of danger. Your stomach sank slightly at the thought of it. You were just finally becoming friends with Hange, you'd hate to lose her now.

Jean had stepped forward from behind the Commander and demanded they tell him who the shifters were. "Give us a name, goddammit!"

"Jean, calm down." Erwin said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "If what you say is true, then we should move to recapture Eren. All soldiers, gather supplies. We will move out tomorrow morning."

"Yes sir!" A group of forty or so soldiers from all regiments saluted before scattering.

You turned to Levi, waiting for him to tell you to stay behind. "You're not going to stop me this time, Levi." You protested.

"I figured as much." He said, crossing his legs. "Just don't get yourself killed."

Finally, you thought as a smile spread onto your face. "Does this mean I can go prepare?" You asked, hoping for the Captain to free you of your boredom.

"Yeah, sure. Knock yourself out, kid."

You cringed at his use of kid, but decided not to comment on it as you rose from the wagon.