chapter 19; pain

note: i had the best idea for some upcoming chapters that came to me in a dream last night, hehe how prophetic ヽ(>∀<☆)ノ

note: i had the best idea for some upcoming chapters that came to me in a dream last night, hehe how prophetic ヽ(>∀<☆)ノ. i'm so excited mwahaha you will love it. but first, we gotta deal with the warrant out for miss adeline's arrest (o_O) (uh-oh) so HANG IN THERE! okay, enough chit chat-

__________________

You left Levi behind in the tavern, as you leaped onto the cobblestone streets. Kenny's men shouted in surprise, readying their weapons within moments. You headed straight into a barrage of gunfire from the figures on the rooftops. You anticipated this, however, and managed to dodge the attack, except for one stray bullet that grazed your leg. You let out a hiss in pain, but kept moving on your path away from the tavern.

As you had planned, a good portion of the soldiers had transferred their attention to you, leaving Levi to deal with only a handful. However, this did not make the situation easier for you. You knew you had to get out of there, but really didn't think about where you'd run to. Maybe you could find a decent place to hide and wait out the storm, but with the amount of men on your tail, you doubt it would be possible to slip away.

You flew around corners and alleyways, hoping to lose them, but nothing seemed to be working and you were burning through your fuel tanks. You headed back towards the market, your ODM gear flying through the air, pulling you quickly around each corner. Damn, these fuckers are fast. You seethed as you looked behind you, dismayed to see you hadn't lost any of the men yet. In fact, they seemed to be gaining on you. You began to realize that you had no hopes of out running them, and one on one combat would be a death sentence. You had no choice but to hide.

You grew closer to the merchant stalls, as people screamed in surprise, pushing each other out of your path in an attempt to not get run over. You noticed one table had an array of baking goods; flour, powdered sugar, spices, and more. As a last ditch effort to put some space between you and them, you drew your swords and sliced through the sacks of ingredients as you flew past them.

White dust filled the air, as civilians scrambled around the streets, looking for cover. The flour thankfully limited visibility as you flew through the crowd, but it stung your lungs, making it nearly impossible to breathe. You took this moment of chaos to slip down an alleyway to your right just as your assailants passed through the cloud of dust, coughing and cursing.

You heard them swear in confusion as they realized you had disappeared. Thankfully, they must have not noticed you make your escape, but you didn't take the moment for granted and decided to run down the all-too-small alleyway on foot. You weaved your way through a maze of backstreets and courtyards, until you made your way to a quiet side of town. There appeared to be almost no one in sight, most likely due to the festival today.

You took cover under the shadow of a liquor store that was closed for the day, kicking the doors open and taking up residence under the windowsill. Your lungs still burned from inhaling the powder, and you hacked up a few coughs. You sank to the floor and wiped the dust from your clothes, a cloud of power poofing up around you as you did. You held your chest in pain as you tried to catch your breath. You could no longer hear the sound of anyone following you, only the distant commotion of the townspeople, so you let out a small sigh of relief.